Abortion/Men dying after having sex with a woman who has had illegal abortion

Dear Pat G

I am writing you from Malawi in Africa and we are having a debate on the issue of men who die after having sex with women who have had illegal abortion. The man start with having severe back pain and their navel start changing colour and testicles, what causes this they usually die 4 days after the act. What causes this or have you heard about this problem in the developed countries.

Hello, Siku,

I haven't heard of such a thing. I did try to do a little research, but I didn't find anything. I would imagine this could happen if a woman used an abortion drug and the man reacted to it, or if she developed an infection and he got it, but I don't know how likely that is.

This sort of sounds like something someone made up to discourage men from having sex with women who have had abortions.

I would definitely discourage men from having sex with women who aren't prepared to be mothers, or when they haven't made a commitment to protect and cherish the women (through marriage), but that doesn't mean men are dying after having sex with women who have had abortions. This sounds like the kind of question you should ask of people who are familiar with folklore. I doubt if it is happening in "developed" countries. Women bear the brunt of medical consequences from abortion. I don't know of any case where a man suffers medical consequences from a woman having an abortion, unless the woman gets a sexually transmitted disease from the abortion, and then passes it on to him. A woman CAN get a sexually transmitted disease if she has a surgical abortion, because many abortionists do not sterilize their instruments properly, if at all. But it is highly unlikely a man would die four days after getting a sexually transmitted disease.

What drugs do women use in Malawi to cause abortion?

If you find out anything more about this, let me know.

Pat G

I can help women with the consideration of their decision, and with resources, and I can share my own experiences as the mother of seven and grandmother of eleven. My approach is to show love and concern, and help women work through the issues, emotional, spiritual, practical. I also help women deal with boyfriend and family issues. I am not a doctor, but I have done extensive medical research, so I may be able to help with information. I am female. When you write, if you are or were pregnant, please tell me how far along you were or are, and if you have had an abortion, please tell me what kind. Thank you.

I have been working with women who are considering abortion for several years. I also work with women who have had abortions. Our family has also experienced adoption, so I can talk about that as well.

I am mostly self-taught. I also studied midwifery for awhile. I have spent years doing research on this topic. In fact, I have been doing research and working in this area since the early 1970's. I have been helping women online for a few years, under the guidance of a woman who was formally training in counseling.