Hi Dr,my concern is that i had an abortion with misoprostol,two weeks ago.the nurse gave me twelve tablets of misoprostol to swallow 4 after every three hours.the pregnancy test is still positive and have lost appetite.could it be that am still pregnant?
i read on the net that misoprostol should be put under the gum to dissolve but me was told to swallow with water.could it have worked?.

Misoprostol can be taken many ways and still be effective. It can be administered by swallowing, or by letting the pills dissolve in your mouth or vagina.

That being said, a pregnancy test can remain positive for up to 4 weeks after an abortion because the pregnancy hormones take time to leave your body. So, having a positive pregnancy test alone is not an indication that the procedure was unsuccessful. Did you have much bleeding with the misoprostol? It is expected that you will have period like bleeding and pass some clots with the misoprostol. If you did not experience this, you should be seen by a doctor immediately to determine if the pregnancy passed.

You could also follow up by taking two pregnancy tests, 1 week apart. The "T" or "test" line on the pregnancy test should begin to get fainter, or less noticeable, as the pregnancy hormone is leaving your system.

You may also want to take a look at the following website: www.womenonwaves.org

Doctor Early Options

We are a group of family doctors who provide abortion care for over a decade. We can answer any health or medical related questions about early abortion, including the aspiration procedure, the abortion pill (RU486), or surgical abortion. We run a practice called Early Options, located in New York City: http://www.EarlyAbortionOptions.com. The practice is dedicated to making early abortion part of mainstream medical care. There are other family doctors around the United States who practice a similar approach to early abortion care: see http://www.EarlyAbortion.com. Please do not ask "private" questions so that other women can learn from your experience. Please tell me what country you are from so that we can better help you.

Experience in the area: We are all board certified family doctors who have special training in early abortion and reproductive health. Dr. Joan Fleischman is the founder of Early Options (earlyabortionoptions.com) dedicated to making early abortion part of mainstream medical care. Organizations: National Abortion Federation American Association of Family Physicians

Dr. Joan Fleischman, Founder M.D., Harvard Medical School M.P.A., John F. Kennedy School of Government