Abortion/Bleeding with abortion pill

The end of march, i was six weeks along and i took the abortion pill. Everything went as they described. Two weeks later i stopped bleeding and had my follow up. Had tests and an ultrasound. They said i was in the clear and sent me on my way. I got on birth control and started having safe sex again, but after i did that, the bleeding started again. Now im either bleeding over having brown discharge. Is this normal? What should i do? Thanks

Bleeding after taking the abortion pill is very unpredictable. Also, it is not uncommon for sex after an abortion to cause some bleeding.

This sounds normal, and I would expect it to stop in a week or two. It does not sound like something that you should be too concerned with, especially since the tests and ultrasound both came up negative at your follow-up.

If you are worried, your abortion provider should be able to see you for another follow-up to assess the situation.  

Doctor Early Options

We are a group of family doctors who provide abortion care for over a decade. We can answer any health or medical related questions about early abortion, including the aspiration procedure, the abortion pill (RU486), or surgical abortion. We run a practice called Early Options, located in New York City: The practice is dedicated to making early abortion part of mainstream medical care. There are other family doctors around the United States who practice a similar approach to early abortion care: see Please do not ask "private" questions so that other women can learn from your experience. Please tell me what country you are from so that we can better help you.

Experience in the area: We are all board certified family doctors who have special training in early abortion and reproductive health. Dr. Joan Fleischman is the founder of Early Options ( dedicated to making early abortion part of mainstream medical care. Organizations: National Abortion Federation American Association of Family Physicians

Dr. Joan Fleischman, Founder M.D., Harvard Medical School M.P.A., John F. Kennedy School of Government