Abortion/positive pregnancy test after abortion

Question
Hi, three days ago I had surgical abortion. I had bleeding just one day and just a little. My brests are still tensed and hurts. But other symtpoms as morning sickness are dissapeared. Today i did a home pregnancy test and it is positive. Is it possible that abortion is failed? Thanks.

Answer
Pregnancy tests can stay positive up to 4 weeks after an abortion. The cause of this is that the pregnancy hormone tapers off slowly. It does not leave your system immediately. Morning sickness is generally the first pregnancy symptom to stop, usually within 48-72 hours of an abortion. Breast swelling and tenderness can take a little longer to subside, usually about 7-10 days. Bleeding after an abortion can be unpredictable and it is not uncommon for bleeding to stop and start over the course of a few weeks after an abortion.

I do not think you have any cause for concern, however if you would like to be sure, I would recommend calling you abortion provider and requesting a follow-up visit.  

Abortion

Doctor Early Options