Abortion/Could I be pregnant after abortion?

QUESTION: Hello World,

My name is Hannah and on the 30th of May I have a medical abortion. I bleed for about 2 weeks after and can't pin point what day I actually stopped bleeding. I went for my 2 week check up and tested negative for pregnancy. That following weekend 22nd which turned into the 23 I had unprotected with the same guy only once & I'm not sure if he came inside me. I knew what I was doing because I wanted to keep my baby, but was forced to go through with it by family member. However I'm now living on my own and hope that I am pregnant again. I've taken 6 test "including dollar store brand, first response, & ept" all of them showed negative and I had blood work done and that was negative as well. I don't want to feel discouraged because today exact makes it 3 week since I had unprotected sex. Should I wait another week to test again? I read some people can detect a positive result at 3 weeks but if so I'm getting nothing but negatives back. I spoke with my doctor and she told me I could be pregnant if my period don't come by the end of this month. I don't want to stress about this but I'm dying to know if I am pregnant. One girl who did the abortion got her period back on the 25 of June. So when did she ovulate? I assumed that my period would come end of June or beginning of July as the doctor stated, however it's the 2 week of July and no period. Although u can get a period 4-8 weeks, what are my chances of being pregnant again? If I did have sex exactly 23 days after my abortion. & still is waiting on my period. Someone out there PLEASE help!!!!

ANSWER: Ovulation can be irregular for a month or two after an abortion. Usually a pregnancy test will begin to show a positive result 2 weeks after conception. If it has been that long and both a urine and blood test are negative, you are probably not pregnant.

QUESTION: Thank you for a quick response so fast. I greatly appreciate it. However I do have another question. Can u help me calculate how far along I would be if I am? My procedure was May 30th. 23 days later. 3 week & 2 days later unprotected sex. Today is July 15th. No signs of period coming down. I assumed I would be 3 weeks & 2 days if pregnant? Is that correct? Also I've read that although the day u had sex, it can take up to a week for implantation. So could that be why it's negative now, because I'm too early? I really feel that if there's nothing this month I am. *takes deep breath* only God know though 😬😬

Thanks in advance for your help.

It is difficult to determine how far along you would be, given that ovulation is unpredictable post-abortion. However, if you believe conception would have occurred on the 23rd, we would assume you would be roughly about 5 weeks at this time. This can be confirmed by ultrasound.  

Doctor Early Options

We are a group of family doctors who provide abortion care for over a decade. We can answer any health or medical related questions about early abortion, including the aspiration procedure, the abortion pill (RU486), or surgical abortion. We run a practice called Early Options, located in New York City: The practice is dedicated to making early abortion part of mainstream medical care. There are other family doctors around the United States who practice a similar approach to early abortion care: see Please do not ask "private" questions so that other women can learn from your experience. Please tell me what country you are from so that we can better help you.

Experience in the area: We are all board certified family doctors who have special training in early abortion and reproductive health. Dr. Joan Fleischman is the founder of Early Options ( dedicated to making early abortion part of mainstream medical care. Organizations: National Abortion Federation American Association of Family Physicians

Dr. Joan Fleischman, Founder M.D., Harvard Medical School M.P.A., John F. Kennedy School of Government