Abortion/Medical Abortion: Light Bleeding

I am going through a medical abortion in the fifth week of my pregnancy. i took the oral tablet MT pill on tuesday after which everything was normal. On Wednesday night i saw some spotting of blood, in the morning on thursday i woke up with sudden pressure when i went to loo i passed thick balls. after that there was bleeding through the day. on thursday night i had put mistropostol tablets in my vagina, after which i had cramps and pain in my abdomen but pain killer and warm water bottle stopped it. Bleeding started but very light, in the morning on friday i passed some clots. But now through the day there is very light bleeding. I am that the medicines have failed. please help me.

Everything that you are describing sounds normal for the medical abortion process. At this time, however, the only way to know for sure would be to have an ultrasound performed.

You could also assess your progress with a pregnancy test. You can take one now (it will more than likely be positive, but that doesn't mean you are necessarily still pregnant. The hormones take a while to leave the system.) and note the result. Then, one week later take a second test. The test line that shows the result should be fading over time if the procedure worked. For example, you would more than likely get a positive test now and in one week a 'faint' positive test. That indicates that the hormone level is dropping and that the procedure was successful.  

Doctor Early Options

We are a group of family doctors who provide abortion care for over a decade. We can answer any health or medical related questions about early abortion, including the aspiration procedure, the abortion pill (RU486), or surgical abortion. We run a practice called Early Options, located in New York City: The practice is dedicated to making early abortion part of mainstream medical care. There are other family doctors around the United States who practice a similar approach to early abortion care: see Please do not ask "private" questions so that other women can learn from your experience. Please tell me what country you are from so that we can better help you.

Experience in the area: We are all board certified family doctors who have special training in early abortion and reproductive health. Dr. Joan Fleischman is the founder of Early Options ( dedicated to making early abortion part of mainstream medical care. Organizations: National Abortion Federation American Association of Family Physicians

Dr. Joan Fleischman, Founder M.D., Harvard Medical School M.P.A., John F. Kennedy School of Government