Abortion/Cytotec effect

Question
Dear Pat,

I am a mother of two boys and recently got pregnant again for 7 wks now.  At around 5 wks time, I bleed quite a lot and went to hospital. The ultrasound doc told me that I got a miscarriage. So my Gynecologist gave me 6 tablets of cytotec. I took them all but only bleed a little. I went back to my gynecologist, she did another ultrasound, but found that there's heartbeat.  Now I'm concern whether he cytotec will impact the baby's physical or mental development?  What can i do? I'm not concern if the damage can be tested or checked before birth, but other defects that cannot be predetermined.  I have already went to another gynecologist for opinion, but he didn't say much apart from " there will be higher probability of bring abnormal" but couldn't give me any case for reference. Good or bad. I hope you can give me some past case for reference. Many thank.

Answer
Ni hao, Joey Siu,

There is some danger of defects with Cytotec, but there isn't a wide variety of possible problems as far as I know. About the only thing you can do is ask a doctor to look into your situation and work with you. You should not go to your Gynecologist, because he should never have given you Cytotec, even if he thought you had a miscarriage. It's too risky. I have been in a similar position, where the doctor concluded that I had a miscarriage, but in fact I did not. I had also bled quite a bit. I refused treatment, but the baby didn't make it. That happened some time later, however.

If you can, try to find an organization there that will have doctors working with them, to help pregnant women without resorting to abortion. Try contacting these people:

http://www.heartbeatinternational.org/international-news/pssa

Usually, these organizations have doctors who are familiar with these types of medical issues, and who will do what is best for both of you.

By 5 weeks, when you took the pills, there is still some forming and growing to do, but much of it is done. Quite often, when a woman takes pills, if they are going to do any harm, they WILL complete a miscarriage. The cases where there is damage but the baby lives are probably about 1% from what I have read, so the chance is good your baby is fine. But if you work with these organizations, they will help you, determine what is happening in your case, and provide the kind help you might need if there is a problem. They won't compromise your health to do it, or hurt you in any way, and they won't hurt your baby. Let them inform you on what possible problems might occur.

This is important, because you also have two other children to take care of, who need you, so you need a doctor who will not cause any harm.

I will pray for you. Please keep in touch and let me know how things go.

Abortion

Pat G