Abortion/abortion

Question
I took misoprosol 12 days after I missed my period which was Friday 7th of this month but I'm still having symptoms. Yesterday I had cramps and I bled a little. I need clarification on what is happening

Answer
Joanna,
Hi, thanks for your question. I want to apologize as it took me longer than usual to respond, we are in the middle of a pretty bad blizzard, it has been a mess!
First all I wanted to ask 2 question, and I know it probably seems like  stupid questions but there important... 1) Did you obtain the misoprostol through a doctor's office or an abortion facility? I wanted to make sure you had a doctor's guidance as you went through this process.  Typically at my office we won't dispense our abortions meds being the Mifoprex and Misoprostol until we can visualize a pregnancy in utero, and typically that does not happen until 5-6 weeks gestation.  I didn't know if you had obtained them through a medical doctor or if you had somehow obtained the misoprostol another way. and 2) Did you take a positive test at home, did you know 100% you are/were pregnant? Or did you just take misoprostol after missing a period? Obviously if you had a visit with a medical doctor they would have known 100% you were pregnant before dispensing this medication, but not everyone goes about obtaining these medications the right way. I would not be putting you down if you had obtained them another way, but I just need to know what we are dealing with. How did you take the pills and how many did you take? Did you take them bucally (letting them absorb in your cheeks) did you swallow them, or insert them into your vagina? At my clinic we instruct our patients to let them sit in there cheeks for 30 minutes, but there are different ways that different doctor's dispense them. What symptoms are you having still? pregnancy symptoms? Also when patients experience an abortion via misoprostol ( we give mifoprex a day before at my clinic as well so we use 2 meds) they will experience cramping and bleeding. It's our body's way of expelling the pregnancy. Unfortunately with this kind of abortion you need a follow up visit with the doctor to ensure your uterus is empty and there is no ongoing pregnancy. This medication only works 97% of the time. in 3% of women it fails the terminate pregnancy, or your body fails to expel all the products. That's why it's very important to go to your follow up visit and have that repeat ultrasound done. I would call the doctor or abortion facility that dispensed you this mediation and explain to them what is going on. If you did not get these medications from a doctor/abortion facility, it's very, very important you call a doctor or an emergency room and explain what happened. I highly doubt you will get in any trouble, but your health is what the doctors will be concerned about. They can do a ultrasound on you and see what is going on and make sure there is no ongoing pregnancy. So if you could get back with me letting me know more information, and please, please get in touch with your doctor/abortion facility or any doctor and coordinate some aftercare. Please follow up with me as well, and answer this question when you get a spare moment! Take care and I hope to hear from you soon!
April

Abortion

April