Abortion/Abortion

Question
"hello doc..
I used the pill mifepristone and two misoprostol tablets all orally..i had bleeding but veryf less within a week my bleeding stopped..I concieved in 23 or 25 november 2013 not sure and i used these pills on 28 january 2014 for three days firstly mifepristone and misoprostol 2 days regularly later on 5 march 2014 i had an ultrasound test and it shows that the gestational age is 16weeks 2 days the heart rate is 152bpm and the weight is 158gms..for now i regret taking the pills and decided to continue with my pregnancy.. what effects the pills can do to my baby please tell me is there any chance of fetus malformation..is there any test to detect the anomalies in my baby..I want a healthy baby. today its around 20 weeks of my pregnancy and i can feel the movements too..please help me out to get out of this situation i am worried about my baby and regret whatever i have done by taking pills.."

Answer
First, please know that I am not a doctor. I am a medical researcher.

I fully understand why you feel the way you do. You are now aware of your bond with your child, so regret is certainly normal. It would be helpful if you receive some counseling to help you resolve the emotional and spiritual issues. There are organizations in some countries that provide such counseling, given by women who are familiar with these particular issues. If you let me know what country you are in, I may be able to find an organization near you.

If I am calculating things correctly, you were about 9 weeks along counting from time of conception, when you took the pills. Would that be correct? If that is the case, it is VERY unlikely there is any damage. Here's why. The pills are intended to cut off the mother's supply of progesterone. However, most babies start to make their own progesterone around 5 to 7 weeks gestational age, and at that point, the pills no longer work because the baby no longer needs the mother's progesterone. Furthermore, the baby's body is completely formed by 8 weeks, so significant damage wouldn't be possible at that point.

The wisest thing you could do would be to try not to worry about it, but go ahead and give birth normally. Worry is normal for a pregnant mother, because she can't see her baby and see that he or she is all right. But you can see a lot with 3D ultrasound, if you have access to that. It can be so detailed, you can see things like the shape of the baby's nose and things like that; you can actually see his face. With the older ultrasound, it's not so easy, but a trained person can still tell a lot about the condition of the baby. If you can get a 3D ultrasound now, it may help set your mind at ease. However, if you don't have access, just know that the likelihood of any significant damage is next to zero. The baby may have problems for other reasons. There are no guarantees. But the odds are definitely in your favor.

Please keep in touch, and send me a picture when your baby is born! Take good care of both of you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Abortion

Pat G