Abortion/incomplete abortion

Question
I am 19 years old...and I am 6 weeks pregnant...I took 4 pills of misoprostol but it didn't work...and then I went to the doctor and he told me about misoclear which I am to take today..4 pills also...pls advice me...I really can't have a child now..pls

Answer
Crystal,
Thanks for your question. Let me start by saying I am sorry you are going through this. The medication abortion process works 97% of the time.. but in 3% of cases it does not work, and you are unfortunately experiencing this. At my clinic if we have a patient who has an incomplete medication abortion as what has happened with you, we give the patient 2 choices. The first choice is to repeat the medication abortion part of repeating the misoprostol dose. This is what your doctor is having you do, as Misoclear is just a type of misoprostol.Misoprostol is supposed to pass the pregnancy tissue. I can tell you though that if your medication abortion did not work the first time, there is only about a 30% chance did it working this second time. Your other option, and the only option left is to have an in-clinic suction abortion. At the clinic I work at if the medication abortion did not work we will perform an in-clinic abortion free of charge. I'm not sure what the policies are where you went for your abortion. But go ahead and follow the doctor's advice to repeat the dose, and hopefully bleeding/cramping will follow and the pregnancy will pass as it should. Make sure you go to a follow up after you administer yourself those pills! I'm sure your doctor has already set it  up, but they need to do another ultrasound to see if the pregnancy tissue passed this time. If it did not,an in-clinic abortion will most likely be set up, since the tissue must come out, you can get a serious infection if it is not removed. I'm sure your doctor informed you of what to look for and when you would need to call him if something happens during the process. But just follow your doctor's advice and I'm sure everything will be fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you the pills work this time, but if they don't I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have about an in-clinic abortion. There  really not that bad and take less than 10 minutes. I'd like to know how this turns out, if you have the time to update me I'd like to know what the out come is.  Please let me know if you have any other questions, and if you have a moment please rate my answer. Take care of yourself Crystal!

April S, CMA!

Abortion

April