Abortion/High Blood Pressure Possibly Due to Abortion?

Question
I took the abortion pill 4 months ago and before that, I had never had blood pressure issues. I started an oral contraceptive (I forget the name) a few days after the abortion. When I went back for my 2 week check up to make sure the abortion was successful, my blood pressure was crazy high, so high that the nurses thought the machine was messed up. They finally chalked it up to me drinking coffee before the visit and let me go. I have taken my blood pressure a fair amount of times at the grocery store since then and it is always high and always very different than it was the time before (199 over 86, 148 over 99, etc). I stopped taking the oral contraceptive about a month ago and two weeks ago I had the Nexplanon birth control implant impanted into my arm (at which point my BP was still too high, especially for a healthy 24 year old). Today, two weeks layer, my BP at the dr. office was 146 over 100. The dr. said I may need to remove the Nexplanon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I have gained 20 lbs since the abortion and have not been extremely active and plan on changing my diet and exercise regime immediately. Thanks :)

Answer
Hello, Devon,

First of all, please be aware that abortion causes a major disruption of a woman's hormones. You followed that with going on an oral contraceptive, which further disrupts your natural hormones. And then you let them insert Nexplanon. This is yet another disruption of your hormones. I am not a believer in drugs. I don't like what abortion does to a woman's hormones. All of this is just asking for trouble. You need to let your body return to normal, and that means not taking drugs that disrupt your hormones, and giving your body a chance to heal.

In researching Nexplanon, I discovered that it has a list of possible side effects ten miles long. One of the problems is that you can't just stop using it when you find it causes trouble. You have to have a doctor's help. This is a distinct disadvantage. Also, the information on drugs.com says that if you have high blood pressure, you should tell your doctor. The list of possible side effects doesn't mention elevating blood pressure per se, but if you found a doctor who thinks you should discontinue the Nexplanon, you have an unusual doctor to begin with. I would tend to go along with his recommendation.

The next thing you should be aware of is that the blood pressure machines in the grocery store are NOT RELIABLE. They get a lot of abuse, and there isn't the motivation to make sure they work right. You can get a small device to measure blood pressure at home, and these are much more accurate, and I would recommend getting one. We have one, and I am very satisfied with it.

Blood pressure is overblown as a serious problem. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be concerned. It is certainly a possible indication something is out of whack. Don't rely, either, on any blood pressure reading you get in the doctor's office. Doctor's offices are notorious for driving up people's blood pressure. Considering that this means worry and stress raises blood pressure, it would be good to look at some factors in your life. Abortion hurts women, and there is no way to know what kind of damage it can cause, but it often causes emotional damage, and this might affect blood pressure. I don't know if you have any kind of hereditary tendency, either. But I'd look at environmental factors.

Gaining weight would not be a surprise. Check to see if your eating habits have changed since your abortion. Abortion often affects a woman's eating patterns. There is no way to know in what way this will happen with any given woman. But it does happen, and frequently. The response to this should be to address any emotions you are experiencing, even emotions you may not be able to acknowledge. Ask yourself if you need any kind of counseling to deal with the emotional consequences. Such counseling, and other programs, are available.

Finally, let me address another issue. Would I be correct in assuming you are not married? If you are not, ask yourself if it makes sense to put yourself in medical danger so that your boyfriend can pleasure himself and put you at risk for pregnancy. You deserve a man who will cherish you, and such a man will not put you at risk. Is there anything in your relationship you think is unhealthy? If so, please address this issue.

There are herbs that will help normalize blood pressure. I'd have to do a bit of research on that point. Please do NOT take blood pressure medications. They CAUSE the very damage they are supposed to prevent. I have witnessed this personally, and it can be serious.

More exercise probably will help.

I have given you a lot to think about. Obviously, if you want to avoid pregnancy, using drugs in your case may well be very detrimental. The only reliable way to prevent pregnancy is abstinence. It is totally safe for you medically. Look for other ways to give yourself pleasure. Moderate exercise is one way. Try to reach an understanding with your boyfriend about this. Will he help protect you from the consequences you are experiencing, or will he want to continue to seek pleasure at your expense? If you are married, what can someone do to help you feel you can go ahead and have a child? Do you need financial help? Or other kinds of help to overcome the problems that pushed you toward abortion in the first place? Think about all this, and if you have any more questions, please let me know. Let's talk about this in more depth.

But since your doctor thinks he should remove the Nexplanon, please let him do so. And think about addressing your concerns another way. Take good care of yourself, and don't take unnecessary medical risks. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.

Abortion

Pat G