Abortion/Possible pregancy

Question

I had a surgical termination after a poor prenatal prognosis. I was 15 weeks.

I recovered quickly and by week 4 had a negative pregnancy test result.

I have been having unprotected sex with my partner, as we wish to conceive again.

I am now 6 weeks post-surgical abortion and my period has still not come. I have tested very faint positives twice on home pregnancy tests.

I am also experiencing some pregnancy symptoms and last week had some pinkish brown spotting.

Am I pregnant? I am going to do another hpt in a couple of days, to see whether the positive is more clear.

Answer
Hello, A,

Be careful of those poor prenatal diagnoses. They are often flat out wrong. If you bear a child with a problem you personally cannot handle, you can place the baby for adoption. There is usually a waiting list for disabled children. There are also many resources available if you choose to parent. My nephew has Down Syndrome and he has been an incredible blessing. My sister was able to find many helpful programs for him.

Abortion can cause birth defects in future children. It makes no sense to have an abortion for a poor prenatal prognosis because of the danger it poses to future children. Be sure and let your doctor know about your abortion if you do get pregnant. He can take some measures that will reduce the danger. But pregnancy after abortion is considered high risk, so be sure and get good prenatal care.

Please consider getting married. It will be better for your children. And in my opinion, women thrive better in marriage than just having a partner.

Nobody will be able to diagnose pregnancy over the internet. At your stage, a doctor would have to examine you and probably run a blood test to be sure. The positive pregnancy test could be a remainder of hormones from before your abortion.  If you take another test and it is more strongly positive, then I would entertain the idea you are pregnant. It is also often true that the period is delayed after abortion. Abortion disrupts a woman's hormones, so all bets are off.

You'll have to wait and see. Please keep in touch and let me know what happens. Keep yourself safe. No more abortions!

Abortion

Pat G