Abortion/hcg levels after an abortion

I had an abortion at 8-9weeks along about 60-80 weeks ago. I had to pregnancy tests today test positive. The positive lines were very light but they were still there. Am I pregnant again or is it left over hcg levels from the last pregnancy

Hello, renee,

You shouldn't have any hcg left over from a pregnancy over a year ago. It sounds like you might be pregnant again, but only time will tell. You should test again in about a week, and see if the lines are stronger.

I don't know if you are in a better position to have a child now than you were then, but if not, you deserve to know what your options are. Abortion is dangerous and harmful. It can harm you and your future children. Please do not do that again. You deserve better. In any case, it has become much more difficult to have an abortion in your state. Most of the facilities that provided shoddy care have been shut down, but not all of them. So please do learn what your options are, and then choose the one you can live with.

You can find out more about your options by finding an organization near you that will explain these things and help you with your choice. You can find the one closest to you on this web site:

If you are not pregnant, but are not in a position to have a child, then please think about how to protect yourself from pregnancy in the future. "Protection" doesn't work. The only way to avoid pregnancy reliably is abstinence. If you are married, you can learn to tell when you are fertile, and avoid taking a risk when you are. You deserve a man who will cherish you and protect you, and not use you for his own pleasure at your expense. Even if you enjoy it, is having to live with the medical, emotional, and spiritual risks worth the short time you experience pleasure? There are even better ways to experience pleasure. Please take good care of yourself, and don't take any more chances with your life.

Please keep in touch and let me know what happens.

Pat G

I can help women with the consideration of their decision, and with resources, and I can share my own experiences as the mother of seven and grandmother of eleven. My approach is to show love and concern, and help women work through the issues, emotional, spiritual, practical. I also help women deal with boyfriend and family issues. I am not a doctor, but I have done extensive medical research, so I may be able to help with information. I am female. When you write, if you are or were pregnant, please tell me how far along you were or are, and if you have had an abortion, please tell me what kind. Thank you.

I have been working with women who are considering abortion for several years. I also work with women who have had abortions. Our family has also experienced adoption, so I can talk about that as well.

I am mostly self-taught. I also studied midwifery for awhile. I have spent years doing research on this topic. In fact, I have been doing research and working in this area since the early 1970's. I have been helping women online for a few years, under the guidance of a woman who was formally training in counseling.