Abortion/Abortion advice

I got an abortion in mid March of this year. When I went into my appt I was 9 1/2 weeks according to the ultrasound. I did have a period within those weeks. Now I've been experiencing some movement and its very uncomfortable to lay on my back. I did go back to the doctor that did my abortion and I took a pregnancy test which turnout negative. I've heard it could be gas or something to do with my bowel movement but I'm not sure. I was wondering if you could just give me advice on what to do. I was strongly considering going back to the doctor to conduct an ultrasound, when I went back for my checkup I didn't get one. I don't have any pain but I have been experiencing some spotting.

ANSWER: Hello, Latrice,

It is now May 4, so if you were still pregnant, you could well feel movement by now. I felt it by 14 weeks, and many women feel it later than that. But it's been 15-16 weeks you would have been pregnant. It may depend on whether or not you are thin or have more weight. The more you have, the later you will feel movement.  You should also be able to feel a lump in your stomach if you lie on your stomach. I don't know how long after your abortion you took the test. I assume it was a surgical abortion. Is that correct?

I wouldn't go back to that doctor. Seriously. He can't be trusted. If you are still pregnant, he obviously didn't do what he intended to do. However, most likely your mind will be best set at ease if you do go to a doctor you CAN trust. That person can also tell you what kind of treatment you might need, or whether you should simply wait for your body to return to normal. You should look for an organization that helps pregnant women, and women who have experienced abortion. You can find one near you by going to this web site:

The local organization will have doctors affiliated with them, who are familiar with what happens to a woman's body as a result of abortion, and how to care for a woman who has experienced abortion.

Please do this, and keep in touch, and let me know what happens. Whatever you do, don't ever try to have an abortion again. An abortion can kill you, leave you with serious medical problems, or harm or kill your future children. Take good care of yourself.

I am very small only weighing 130 lbs. I've been feeling this movement for about a couple weeks now. I dont think im pregnant, i just want to know why I feel movement. And my follow-up appt was 4 weeks after I had the abortion. Yes it was a surgical procedure.

Hello, Latrice,

Well, I can't really tell you anything over the internet. You have a couple of choices. You can wait and see what happens, or you can find a doctor as I suggested. Either way, I don't see that there is any emergency. Please do keep me informed. Take good care of yourself.

Pat G

I can help women with the consideration of their decision, and with resources, and I can share my own experiences as the mother of seven and grandmother of eleven. My approach is to show love and concern, and help women work through the issues, emotional, spiritual, practical. I also help women deal with boyfriend and family issues. I am not a doctor, but I have done extensive medical research, so I may be able to help with information. I am female. When you write, if you are or were pregnant, please tell me how far along you were or are, and if you have had an abortion, please tell me what kind. Thank you.

I have been working with women who are considering abortion for several years. I also work with women who have had abortions. Our family has also experienced adoption, so I can talk about that as well.

I am mostly self-taught. I also studied midwifery for awhile. I have spent years doing research on this topic. In fact, I have been doing research and working in this area since the early 1970's. I have been helping women online for a few years, under the guidance of a woman who was formally training in counseling.