Abortion/sex after abortion

Hello Doctor, I had a medical abortion around june 4th 2015 where I was 5-6 weeks pregnant. The whole course lasted for around 5 days. I took a pregnancy test 3 weeks later around june 26th and it came negative. I also got my first period after the abortion on 8th July 2015. I had sex on 17th night and 18th night of July. On 19th morning, I started bleeding, and till now I am still bleeding. The bleeding is similar to periods, but i'm not getting cramps(which I normally do) and it's a little less than compared to my bleeding during periods. Is this normal or should I be worried about it?

Hello, Nitisha,

I apologize for not answering you sooner. I didn't get a notice of your question, in my email.

When you have a pill abortion, it disrupts your hormones. After that, bleeding at any time for no apparent reason, can happen for weeks afterwards, but you might not bleed all the time. Nothing that happens after a pill abortion is normal. You really should get it checked out, just to find out what is going on. Nobody can really tell you why you are bleeding now, over the internet. It would require you to go to the doctor and get some tests.

Having sex after a pill abortion can often set off bleeding, because of the hormones involved, and because of the physical movement.

If you don't have a doctor you can trust, you can go to one of the clinics affiliated with the organization in your area, and they can help you find one. Here is the contact information:

Catholic Health Association of Tamil Nadu
(CHAT),No.15, Anjalkaaran Thouppu,
Edamalaippatti Pudhur,
Tiruchirappalli DT 620012.
Phone: 0431 2471681

If you continue to have sex, you will be faced with a troublesome pregnancy again. If you are not married, I highly recommend you not have sex. Your boyfriend is simply taking advantage of you, and you bear all the medical consequences. If you are married, this group can also provide you with help learning how to avoid pregnancy when you are not in a position to have a child. They can also provide you with any resources you might need.

Please get this checked out. Let me know what you find out. Those pills are dangerous and can kill you. Please do not ever take them again. Take care of yourself.

Pat G

I can help women with the consideration of their decision, and with resources, and I can share my own experiences as the mother of seven and grandmother of eleven. My approach is to show love and concern, and help women work through the issues, emotional, spiritual, practical. I also help women deal with boyfriend and family issues. I am not a doctor, but I have done extensive medical research, so I may be able to help with information. I am female. When you write, if you are or were pregnant, please tell me how far along you were or are, and if you have had an abortion, please tell me what kind. Thank you.

I have been working with women who are considering abortion for several years. I also work with women who have had abortions. Our family has also experienced adoption, so I can talk about that as well.

I am mostly self-taught. I also studied midwifery for awhile. I have spent years doing research on this topic. In fact, I have been doing research and working in this area since the early 1970's. I have been helping women online for a few years, under the guidance of a woman who was formally training in counseling.