Abortion/Unprotected sex 4 days after medical abortion.

Question
QUESTION: I had a medical abortion taking the misopropol pills on Thursday evening (4/14). I began bleeding, but no large clots or discharge. My partner and I had unprotected sex on Monday (4/18). I believe the pregnancy was passed on Sunday evening (4/17) as I clotted heavily with discharge. The incident revolving around the unprotected sex on Monday evening was an event that was not planned or intended to occur. I am very well aware it shouldn't have occurred. Is there a chance that I could get pregnant from this encounter? I plan on having an IUD in place in the next 10 days.

ANSWER: Hello, Laura,

There are unanswered questions in your case, and I need more information. How far along were you when you took the medications? Is Misoprostol the only drug you received? Did you see anything other than liquid and blood clots? Did you take it orally, or put it into your vagina? I cannot give you a full answer without this information.

An IUD can cause some serious problems, including perforation of the uterus. I do not advise it. It won't necessarily prevent pregnancy.

It sounds like your partner is taking advantage of your body. You might want to think about this. You deserve better than abortion. You deserve a man who will cherish and protect you.

As for that encounter, no, you wouldn't get pregnant from it UNLESS your other pregnancy was likely to miscarry anyway. It is rare for a woman to be fertile while pregnant (though it happened to two people I know), or for a period of time after the end of the pregnancy.

Misoprostol by itself may or may not cause abortion. It is normally given as the second drug, after another drug. This is why I am asking about whether you received another drug before taking the Misoprostol. If you put Misoprostol into your vagina, you need to see a doctor urgently, and ask him to test you for Clostridium sordellii. Normally this bacterium is relatively harmless, but Misoprostol suppresses the immune system. The woman's body won't fight back. Instead, her vital organs just start to fail one by one. If you have this, the doctor MUST start acute life saving treatments IMMEDIATELY. Otherwise, once your organs start to fail, you can be dead within hours. So please do this.

To find a doctor who understands these consequences, and the consequences of medical abortion in general, I recommend you find an organization in your area that works with women who have had abortions. You can find one by going to this web site:

http://www.optionline.org/

Please do this. Your life may be at stake.

Have a serious talk with your partner. He is putting you at medical risk, and you alone will suffer the medical consequences. Also, if you get pregnant in the future, please let your obstetrician know you have had an abortion. Your abortion can endanger your future children, but if the doctor knows about it, he can undertake treatments to help safeguard the life and health of your child. Please take good care of yourself, and let me know how you do.

QUESTION: I received the 1st drug at my clinic on 4/13 and took the mistropol at home bucally as instructed along with an antibiotic on 4/14. According to the clinic I was approximately 6 and half weeks along in my pregnancy the day I recieved my first pill. Everyone including my physician is well aware of my decision. In regard to what else I saw I had a large clot of almost jelly like substance but it was in the toilet so I didn't exam it it fully. We have a child and I was very ill throughout my pregnancy the decision for this termination was due to complications that could effect my lifelong ability to healthy parent our child we already had. Our original form of birth control failed it was not that we were carelessly having unprotected sex at that time knowing my health risk. The sexual encounter was not one out of abuse, although I highly appreciate that concern as too many women do suffer from this. My husband is leaving for overseas this week and the encounter was an irrational and emotional moment against better judgement. I am also in counseling for this emotional time.

Answer
Hello, Laura,

Thank you for the additional details. They were very helpful.

At 6 1/2 weeks, there will be a failure rate, but it doesn't sound like it failed in your case.

Please know that there is no foolproof method of birth control. There is no such thing as protected sex. I can certainly understand why the two of you had sex, and really, I don't blame you in the least. You're entitled. I wish you all the best with your counseling.

As for the illness during your last pregnancy, it is very unlikely that this could not be treated successfully by a knowledgeable doctor, or by someone who is knowledgeable about herbs. Many women suffer from severe morning sickness. This can usually be remedied by nutritional means, getting more protein, for example, or certain vitamins. Vegetarians would be more likely to have this problem. Ginger tea is an excellent remedy, when sipped. If it was pre-eclampsia or something like that, there are treatments for those things as well. Gestational diabetes is also a result of nutritional deficiency. I encourage you to find the organization in your area, as I mentioned, to talk to a doctor who handles high risk pregnancies, to determine what the best course of treatment would be, if you are afraid of a second pregnancy (and in some cases, the same problem won't reoccur anyway). It is not uncommon for doctors to lie to women to persuade them to have an abortion, so you should talk to a doctor who will be honest with you, about your chance for a healthy pregnancy in the future.

Bucally, the risk of a deadly infection from Clostridium sordellii is fairly minor. It does happen, but not very often.

Please take care. I hope your husband will be home soon. I have lived through long absences from my husband. I have inner resources which helped, although if mine had been going into harm's way, it wouldn't have been so easy. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Abortion

Pat G