Abortion/Tried to abort with cytotec

I made a horrible mistake when I listened to my boyfriend's mom and took cytotec to try and abort my baby.
I was 4 weeks pregnant when I took 2 orally and 3 vaginally; nothing much happened, just cramps and very tiny blood clots that stopped the same day. Three days later I took 3 orally and 3 vaginally and had a little bleeding and some cramps that stopped the same day.
I went to the hospital the next day and got antibiotic shots and some of the pill was coming out my vagina with an odour. The next day I went back and the doc removed the rest from my vagina and prescribed antibiotics. I did an ultrasound and the gyn said it was too early to tell if I had an early pregnancy or failed one. I'm going for a follow up ultrasound next week.
If I am still pregnant, which I feel, will there be anything wrong with my baby? Any deformities? I feel so awful every time I feel cramps. I pray everyday that God will forgive me and spare my baby.

ANSWER: Hello, Kimberley,

I am so sorry about all this. It is so easy for a woman to make such a mistake. You were deceived because the person who gave you the pills did not received your informed consent. You were not told of the possible consequences, nor of alternatives.

Since all you took was Cytotec, generally speaking, either you will fail, or the baby will be all right. It is usually all or nothing. While there are occasions when severe birth defects do occur, they are not common.

I recommend you go to a doctor who understands about these types of abortions. You can find one by finding an organization near you that helps pregnant women. These are located all over the United States. You can find the closest organization by going to this web site:

It is vitally important that you see a knowledgeable doctor, because putting Cytotec into the vagina has some possibly serious consequences. If you have Clostridium sordellii in your body, it could cause an infection, and your body won't fight back. Immediate intense lifesaving measures are necessary. The fact you mentioned you had material in your vagina that produced an odor is concerning. So please do this as soon as possible, today.

I regret I do not have the time to write more at the moment, but please keep me informed, and feel free to ask any questions you might have. I will pray for you and your baby. Take care.

QUESTION: Thanks so much for your response. I'm living in Jamaica though. The doctor and gyn strictly said I should do follow up ultrasounds, but I still have my doubts. The gyn also said that the scent was from the little blood coming out.
Thanks again to your response. I will definitely keep you posted.

ANSWER: Hello, Kimberley,

I don't know if Jamaica is listed specifically on the site, but if you can call their office, they may have information on an organization there. Ultrasounds sound like the best source of information for the moment, but I'd try to keep them to a minimum. We don't REALLY know what effect ultrasounds have on a baby. Also, ongoing pregnancy tests are completely safe and can tell you if the pregnancy is continuing. As for the odor, I really think you should ask the doctor to test you for Clostridium sordellii. If you start to experience symptoms (which would NOT include fever), please seek help immediately, and thanks for keeping me posted and the kind rating.

I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier, I've just been so worried. I started bleeding yesterday on and off and I saw thick blood fall out once. The on and off bleeding continues today, and I have on and off cramps as well but not at the same time as the bleeding. What could be happening?

Hello, Kimberley,

The abortion may be continuing, unfortunately. You should go ahead and call the organization I mentioned. They can help you with any issues you face, by email or phone. They may also know of an organization that can help you locally. Please keep in touch. Any time you need to talk, I'll be here. Make the message private if you want. Take good care of yourself. I will pray for you.

Remember, God loves you both, and He is always there to forgive and comfort you. This kind of experience can cause us to doubt His love. We can sometimes pull away. He loves you and wants to keep you close, so please go to Him when you are troubled.

Pat G

I can help women with the consideration of their decision, and with resources, and I can share my own experiences as the mother of seven and grandmother of eleven. My approach is to show love and concern, and help women work through the issues, emotional, spiritual, practical. I also help women deal with boyfriend and family issues. I am not a doctor, but I have done extensive medical research, so I may be able to help with information. I am female. When you write, if you are or were pregnant, please tell me how far along you were or are, and if you have had an abortion, please tell me what kind. Thank you.

I have been working with women who are considering abortion for several years. I also work with women who have had abortions. Our family has also experienced adoption, so I can talk about that as well.

I am mostly self-taught. I also studied midwifery for awhile. I have spent years doing research on this topic. In fact, I have been doing research and working in this area since the early 1970's. I have been helping women online for a few years, under the guidance of a woman who was formally training in counseling.