Abortion/If a child is born alive during an abortion

QUESTION: If a child is born alive during an abortion is the doctor required to send the child to the hospital? If the child is taken to the hospital the child should make a full recovery and be released from the hospital alive?

ANSWER: Hello, administrator,

Laws vary from state to state. In Michigan, it is against the law NOT to provide care for any baby born alive after abortion. Whether or not the baby will survive depends primarily on how far along his mother was at the time of the abortion. Babies as young as 20 weeks can survive, and some will be healthy, although extreme prematurity can cause a number of serious medical problems. There is also any possible damage from the abortion, and lack of immediate care, to consider. Older babies will survive more readily, and again, this depends partly on what kind of damage they may have sustained, and what kind of care they receive, as well as just their general hardiness. Regardless, the law requires that they be given a chance, and given full life support treatment, with no discrimination based on the circumstances of their birth.

I hope this answers your question.

QUESTION: Can an abortion doctor be charged with murder if he does not do this?

In Michigan, the law provides for punishment of anyone who has that legal responsibility and fails to provide care. At the moment, I don't have time to do extensive research to give you a specific answer as to whether they can be charged with murder. There were five bills involved.  You can access these here:

Feel free to ask any additional questions. I will be in and out of the room, so may not answer promptly.

Pat G

I can help women with the consideration of their decision, and with resources, and I can share my own experiences as the mother of seven and grandmother of eleven. My approach is to show love and concern, and help women work through the issues, emotional, spiritual, practical. I also help women deal with boyfriend and family issues. I am not a doctor, but I have done extensive medical research, so I may be able to help with information. I am female. When you write, if you are or were pregnant, please tell me how far along you were or are, and if you have had an abortion, please tell me what kind. Thank you.

I have been working with women who are considering abortion for several years. I also work with women who have had abortions. Our family has also experienced adoption, so I can talk about that as well.

I am mostly self-taught. I also studied midwifery for awhile. I have spent years doing research on this topic. In fact, I have been doing research and working in this area since the early 1970's. I have been helping women online for a few years, under the guidance of a woman who was formally training in counseling.