Abortion/Cytotec

Question
Hi Pat,

Please help, I found out I was pregnant on Monday and should only be about 3 weeks, I took Cytotec on Monday and had a little spot of bleeding on Tuesday morning, nothing else happened, i then went back to the clinic they gave me a second course on Wednesday Thursday morning i had a little bit of yellow discharge and nothing else, i am not sure if the abortion has worked or not, I have now decided if it has not worked it wasn't meant to be but how would I know that the baby would be ok?

Answer
Hello, Sheriese,

Generally speaking, it is an all or nothing situation that early. Furthermore in most cases, two drugs are given. Cytotec by itself won't necessarily cause abortion.

It is actually true that none of us ever knows if her baby will be OK, and we wait a long time to find out. While taking a drug like Cytotec might increase the risk, everyone faces this issue. There are no guarantees. I wish I knew how to be more specific.

At this point, it is too early to tell if the abortion was successful. From what I read, you just took the last pills this latest Wednesday. However, regardless of how things turn out, you would probably benefit from some local help. These are people who can be supportive as you go through whatever will happen. There are two organizations near you:

New Hope Ministry
Telephone: 0720199803
Email: newhope@pinetownpresby.co.za
49 Maurice Nicholis Road Pinetown 3610
Province: KwaZulu Natal

Choices For Life
Telephone: 0319037359
Email: prctoti@saol.com
Physical Address: 10 Nelson Road Amanzimtoti Durban 4126
Postal Address: PO Box 61 Doonside 4135
Province: KwaZulu Natal

These organizations can provide medical support and counseling.

I will be available any time you need to talk. I pray that all will be well with you. Please take good care of yourself and let me know how things turn out.

Abortion

Pat G