Abortion - Pro Choice Views/Birth control

Hello Danielle. Recently there has been some debate over whether or not birth control pills should be available over the counter. Of course the "right to lifers" are opposed, and a spokeswoman for a local "crisis pregnancy center" actually came right out and said (in a newspaper interview) that the reason she was against it was basically because it would give people (particularly women) permission to be "promiscuous" and she believed that sex should be saved for marriage. I just rolled my eyes at that! I mean, isn't that kind of unrealistic? Things are not like they used to be. First of all, women have options now and not all women WANT to get married. But that certainly doesn't mean they don't ever want to have sex! Lets face it. Women have needs too! And isn't the whole idea of saving oneself for marriage based on a biblical belief? Not all of us are christians. But the issue of whether or not it was safe was raised, and  that as what I am concerned about. Obviously I am pro-choice, and support a woman's right to contraception and abortion. However, I am concerned that if birth control became available over the counter it could be harmful to some women. For instance, women with certain health conditions shouldn't take the pill, and the pill might interact with another one of their medications etc etc I personally HATED the pill. I have been on Depo-Provera for years, and I LOVE it! But I digress. What do you think? Should the pill be available over the counter? And what about the safety issue? And feel free to comment on the whole issue of those who oppose it for moral/religious reasons. I really don't understand though. If you are SO against abortion, wouldn't you rather a girl/woman use the pill then get pregnant and possibly abort? It seems to me that they are more concerned with preventing women from having sex, then they are with protecting unborn babies.

Hi Heather :)

I'm not sure where the "save yourself to marriage" thing originated, but it had to do with men wanting to ensure that the children they cared for were fathered by them. Of course now we even have over the counter paternity tests! Of course they have been used to shame women as well, since having multiple sex partners is pretty looked down upon for our gender.

They are a safe medication, and I would like if they were OTC to come with explicit warnings on the label, which of course they would. Even to have them kept at the pharmacy so a family history and blood pressure screening can be taken-those are the two vital questions wrt safety. progesterone only pills would work as well as they are even safer, but harder to take "perfectly."

Moral/religious objections have no place in the medical field, and should be kept away.

No, you already figured it out.  It's not about preventing what can be an expensive procedure, it's about preventing uterus owners from having consequence free sex. Is it super creepy that they care about people's private lives so much? Yep. But that's really the core issue-women having sex that they don't get punished for, especially sex outside of a long-term monogamous relationship (which I'm sure you're aware has been portrayed as sex only women with low self esteem engage in, bc it's just easier to believe that no woman would actually take pleasure in sex for pleasure's sake only.)  

Abortion - Pro Choice Views

I can answer questions regarding medical and surgical abortion, questions about abortion in general, like moral and religious issues concerning the procedure. I'm happy to answer questions, have discussions, and provide further information, like pro-choice websites and organizations.

I have people close to me who have gotten abortions, I know the current abortion issues, and I have researched abortion in depth for a long time.

College education