Abortion - Pro Choice Views/Is it wrong?

Question
Hi.  I've always been pro-choice because I feel women shouldn't be forced into something they don't want. However, I find myself now having to choose and I don't know what it is I should do. I'm 20 years old, in college and have no contact with the father. Rationally, I know it's not the right time, but a part of me wants the baby. I feel like it makes me a bad person if I feel that way, yet I still decide to get an abortion anyways. I dont really have anyone to talk to this about who is able to understand why I'm so distraught. My question, I guess, is does it make me a bad person to get an abortion if a part of me wants the baby?

Answer
Hi Sara :)

There's nothing unusual about knowing in your head that a child might not be right for you at the moment, and having to deal with conflicting emotions. Plenty of people who abort also deal with conflicting desires. And remember- evolutionarily, biologically speaking? Your body wants you to reproduce. And then throw in pregnancy hormone changes! It's quite alot to deal with, and you're handling it extraordinarily well.

None of this makes you a bad person. Exercising your right to your own body? I can't think of anything more intrinsic to being a human. I'm sorry you dont have people around you to help-if it helps, 1 in 3 women in America have at least one abortion by the age of 40, so it's quite likely you're in familiar company, but society has done a great job at shaming people for making a Constitutionally protected legal decision.

If you need another resource to talk to, in person, Exhale is superb: 1-866-4-EXHALE

And this workbook is incredible, and might really offer some more peace/guidance: http://www.pregnancyoptions.info/index.htm

& of course if you want to, you can always message me!

Abortion - Pro Choice Views

Danielle