Abusive Relationships/him

Question
if you have supported your family of 4 myself,husband, and two children for 13 years, 80 hrs a week while the old man stays home and drink all day, is that abuse or enabling?

Answer
Hi Katy,

Thank you for reaching out to get information or insight of what is going on. A healthy relationship involves two people working together to resolve issues and concerns with a give and take belief and attitude. If this is not happening in your relationship, then something needs to change to bring it back to a level of equal commitment, work and pleasure. Not insisting on a healthy relationship or “giving in” can be considered enabling if you are not happy with the situation.

The question to you is, do you want to live the rest of your life like this? If the answer is no, then taking the proper steps to get help will guide you in the direction you are looking for. Seeking a professional counselor to help you develop a plan to improve your joy and happiness is what I would recommend. An online counselor I would recommend is Jennifer Young at http://saferelationshipsmagazine.com/healing-the-after-math-column-jennifer-youn or find a local counselor that understands abuse.

You working and supporting your family and husband while your husband stays home and drinks all day is not a healthy relationship or situation. Change is needed and you are the one that needs to take the steps to make that happen.

Please keep asking questions to help you find the proper direction you are looking for. Finding a counselor to help you create a plan for a healthier and happier life is in you power. You deserve to live life with love and peace and you have the power to make that happen.

Much peace to you!

Coach Cathy
Cathy Backlund
Life Coach Specializing in Abusive Relationships and Domestic Violence Education

Abusive Relationships

Cathy Backlund, Life Coach in Abuse & Domestic Violence