Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Payroll Service11/15/2016Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: I am working on a business model for a payroll startup and was hoping i could ask you some questions ...
  A: You can use a payroll service for the check processing and pay the taxes yourself, but I would not ...
Accounting Category10/18/2016Arthur Naman
  Q: I am filling in some accounting software for my new business. I need to know what things like ...
  A: Sorry it took so long to get back to you. When you sell a product, the cost of the product ...
Ref: question8/22/2016Arthur Naman
  Q: Good day Interested in finding out how taxes on rental properties are calculated where there are ...
  A: First, this forum is a place for bookkeeopng and accounting questiions as oipposed toi tax ...
409a Deferred Comp7/18/2016Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: Is there a good place for me to go to find out if State tax can be deferred until the withdrawal. We ...
  A: The only place that can give you that answer is the state tax office in each state listed. Each ...
question7/5/2016Arthur Naman
  Q: Good day Are there any ways and procedures that a small business owner could quickly double check an ...
  A: Yes, there are. 1. Be sure the checking accounts are reconciled. In fact, be sure all accounts ...
Pay Incentives for Part Time Employees6/22/2016Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: Shirley -- Do you see any issues with offering incentive pay to part time employees to encourage ...
  A: I can see a couple of concerns 1. If the hours for the part time employee exceeds the full time ...
Car allowances/401K6/16/2016Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: which is paid monthly, and designated as separate from "regular wages" - should that car allowance ...
  A: I have been HR for 32 years. I helped to design our 401K plan. We wrote into our plan all wages ...
Accounting error4/12/2016Arthur Naman
  Q: i'm an accountant working for property management company. Somehow I made a dumb mistake by making ...
  A: Yes, I would tell your CPA about it. As to whether it will be resolved, I do not know exactly ...
Accounting Question2/12/2016Arthur Naman
  Q: The owner of our small business has sold his home and is now commuting from another state and ...
  A: From an accounting viewpoint, that type of expense would, I think, be considered "rent." I think ...
Training for 3 days and working 39 hours in 3 days12/18/2015Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: I got my pay check and it was under 300 dollars for the time I worked in the 3 days. Am I obligated ...
  A: You can be paid either hourly or salaried, however, your job is non exempt which means you need to ...
Carry forward loss for S corp12/11/2015Arthur Naman
  Q: My ex did not transfer all shares of our corp to me as supposed to. Each year because of this I've ...
  A: This is not a forum for tax advice. There are other forums on this Web site for tax and legal ...
Scam?11/19/2015Arthur Naman
  Q: I recently got an internship at Allco's Financial Group. They ask me to accept people's rent deposit ...
  A: From what I read onine, Allco appears legit. You did not describe the "rent deposit" you will be ...
Accounting impossible11/16/2015Arthur Naman
  Q: I got an associate's degree in accounting back in 2010. Ever since, I have diligently searched and ...
  A: Your problem is a perennial problem; it's been true for decades. You may have to work at jobs ...
tin no.11/2/2015Arthur Naman
  Q: I want ti become vandor and sell online my product but at registration they are asking for tin no. ...
  A: No, they are not the same. TIN is a taxpayer identification number used in the USA. VAT is for a ...
3rd party paryroll9/28/2015Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: My employer has contracted with another company to do their payroll. This was implemented without ...
  A: Many companies outsource payroll duties to outsourcing companies such as ADP, Paylocity, Ceridian ...
1099's8/25/2015Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: We are remodeling part of our business building. I have a Sub S corporation. I have already paid ...
  A: If the concrete guy is a corporation no 1099. You will have to find out if he is a corporation or ...
Social Security Tax8/11/2015Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: We just hired someone at our company that has already maxed out on their social security tax so she ...
  A: Whenever a new EIN number is used for reporting taxes the social security starts with zero. You ...
W2 Deductions for deceased employee8/4/2015Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: We have online employees in California that did work for us last year, and we agreed to pay them in ...
  A: Social Security will not notify you of a death of an employee. I do not know how you will catch ...
basic bookkeeping7/17/2015Arthur Naman
  Q: Arthur, pleased to meet you! I'm a pawn-pusher in this field, so my question is basic. Regarding ...
  A: Yes, you do look at each item that can be considered equity. By classifying each item can be ...
Holiday pay and overtime pay7/6/2015Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: Our company voluntarily pays a premium of time and one-half for designated holidays. For nonexempt ...
  A: You are correct, if the holiday puts the non exempt in an overtime state, than you do not have to ...
Employee Perks6/19/2015Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: We receive an employee card that has money loaded on it every month for us to eat at the restaurant ...
  A: It is taxable to the employee unless it is for the convenience of the employer so the employees are ...
bonus5/8/2015Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: hi Shirley I work construction company-this year they give bonus we all do good job-the company ...
  A: I have not worked in a union environment, however, from what I have read and been told the Union ...
new law about sick leave for employees4/26/2015Arthur Naman
  Q: I am a therapist on this site helping others too. smile. I am writing about the new law. My ...
  A: There are a bunch of things I am not clear about, let's discuss. By " new law" I'm not sure what ...
sales tax / resellers id4/8/2015Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: we just started our llc based in Delaware, which doesn't have sales tax. our problem is our drop ...
  A: I would use the ID for the state in which you are located. You are buying for resell so there would ...
Payroll Taxes3/27/2015Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: We have an employee that lives in Indiana but works in Ohio. We currently do not have an account in ...
  A: You are not required to set up an account in Indiana and withhold taxes although you may if you ...
Pension Benefit3/9/2015Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: I am a former employee (1981 thru 1989) of The Jordan Marsh Co. in Boston, owned at that time by ...
  A: it is possible, however that far back it may have been eaten up by fees. most companies charge fees ...
Pension Benefit3/9/2015Arthur Naman
  Q: I am a former employee of Jordan Marsh (Allied-Federated Stores) in Boston. I left there in ...
  A: I really do not have a good answer for you. As mentioned in my profile, my expertise is in ...
Fed W/H amount differs2/20/2015Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: I was wondering how Fed W/H works, I am a little confused. On my pay check which come every two ...
  A: your federal withholding will depend on the amount you earn and the way in which you filled out your ...
business partnerships2/10/2015Arthur Naman
  Q: PartnershipPartner A and partner B decide to start a business. Partner A invests all the money, ...
  A: What does the partnership agreement say about loan repayments? From the brief description provided, ...
Customer Charge Accounts12/5/2014Arthur Naman
  Q: I run the office at a small auto repair shop in Oregon. We sometimes allow customers to charge part ...
  A: I am not sure as to the answer to your question. The question is whether your state's laws permits ...
Why must statements balance to the penny?11/12/2014Arthur Naman
  Q: Naman: I have worked in office jobs where I was required to do basic accounting including ...
  A: Reconciliations should always be "to the penny." If not, the problem is that there is the ...
Line Item on Pension Statement10/6/2014Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: My dad's pension check from Firestone/Bridgestone has two line items on it each month. The codes ...
  A: Okay since I do not work for Firestone/Bridgestone I do not know what their code stands for. It ...
need accounting service10/6/2014Arthur Naman
  Q: I was wondering if you could refer me to an affordable accountant who can do reviewed financial ...
  A: I would recommend your finding someone in your area, if not in your locale, at least in your state. ...
Pension problem with what is taken out9/29/2014Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: How in the world do I get in the phone number regarding my pension deductions??? Every thing on the ...
  A: First I need more information. I need to know if you are talking about a payroll deduction from your ...
Accounting for non-profit9/24/2014Arthur Naman
  Q: I have been appointed as the initial fiscal agent for a non-profit healthcare coalition and I'm ...
  A: My expertise is in for profit accounting. In addition I have no experience with an organization ...
401k loan payoff9/21/2014Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: ok,I have a 401k loan of about 3k being paid back wkly at 64.oo ACH.this retirement company will not ...
  A: I am the administrator for our 401K plan. You are not allowed to use the money in your retirement ...
Question9/15/2014Arthur Naman
  Q: I'm a little confused by this. I own a Compaq computer and rent a Motor Vehicle. Can I expense both ...
  A: First, let's discuss the Compaq computer. Assets are depreciated beginning when they are used in the ...
Bookkeeping record of investments9/9/2014Arthur Naman
  Q: I am church treasurer and we are switching to a double-entry bookkeeping system. We have endowed ...
  A: First, I have no experience with non-profit accounting. Regarding changes in market value, normally ...
Reissuing Pay Stubs8/29/2014Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR
  Q: I need to submit my last 26 weeks of pay stubs to the UIA from a job that I was laid off of in MI. ...
  A: In Michigan they must give you the pay stub when you are paid or a statement with the information on ...
accounting issues8/20/2014Arthur Naman
  Q: I am trying to set up a bookkeeping system for a used car dealer. I was a bookkeeper 40 years ago ...
  A: At the end of the month, or other accounting period, the current period net income or (loss) is ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

Top Expert on this page