Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues/Paying finance charges

I owe $96 to my dentist office for an appointment that was in August.  I got the first bill on October 22 with a nasty note saying I was past due in paying the bill. I called to inform them that it was my first bill, & I shouldn't be charged a $5 finance charge (which was on the bill).  Basically, they said it wasn't their problem.

I've been told by an accountant-friend that I do not have to pay ANY finance charges anyway.  Is this true?

Thanks for your help!

The comment by the dentist office that it "wasn't their problem" is baloney. Of course it is their problem as they are the ones charging thr finance charges.

As for whether or not you have to pay, that is a question of state law which I have no knowledge of. Normally as long as payment is made within a reasonable time, any interest or finance charge may be waived.

Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues

Arthur Naman

General accounting and bookkeeping questions. Specific questions pertaining to: monthly bookkeeping, preparing financial reports; reconciling accounts.

I cannot answer questions pertaining to pension or retirement planning.

This is not a forum to have homework answered. Please do your own homework.

30 years' experience doing tax and accounting work

MPA from Univ. of Texas at Austin, MBA Golden Gate Univ, San Francisco CA