Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues/bouns

Question
Are bonuses subject to the same deductions as your payroll? ie: medical,dental,vision,401k

Answer
Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K are not bonus's they are benefits. The amounts paid for medical can be either pretaxed or after taxed depending on the companies's benefit plan. If they are before tax than you are taking the tax benefit and you will not pay taxes on them throughout the year. If they are after tax than you pay tax on the amounts throughout the year and you would have to deduct them from your income taxes when you file. It is better if they are pretaxed such as a cafeteria plan you pay no taxes on them.

401k contributions are generally not taxed for federal and State but you do have to pay medicare and fica tax on them.

Shirley

Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR