Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues/TIME CARD ALTERATIONS

Question
CAN AN EMPLOYER ALTER TIME CARDS WHEN AN EMPLOYEE IS OUT OF THE OFFICE ON PERSONAL BUISNESS?

Answer
If the employee is out of the office on personal business than there will be nothing on the timecard for that day and that employee will not be paid. You can make a note on the bottom of the card that says employee out of office on personal business 1/23/2013 and initial it. Use the actual date the employee is out.

Altering is changing or adding something to an exisiting timecard. Writing a footnote at the bottom to explain a missing day is appropriate as you are not altering any times punched by the employee.

Shirley

Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR