Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues/Giving assets to employees

Question
Do I need to tax (W-2) an employee if my company gives them a computer? If so, is it NBV or FMV.
Thanks,
Stephanie.

PS I looked on the IRS website and couldn't find the info!

Answer
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15b.pdf  Publication 15b Employer's guide to Fringe Benefits

This would be a taxable benefit on the Fair Market Value of the item unless it is an achievment award or a length of service award. If it is an achievement award you are allowed
up to 400.00 in a non qualified plan per employee or 1600.00 for a qualified plan. This is an annual amount per employee.

Check out the publication listed above for more on awards. If it is simply a gift and not for achievement or length of service it is taxable for fair market value.

Shirley

Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR