Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues/payout of contract

Question
I will need to process a payroll check today to payout the duration of a contract.  I was wondering if there is any way to alleviate the payroll taxes since it will be a fairly large lump sum payment.

Answer
Circular E says you can use one of two ways:

Either use a flat rate of 25% or

you can figure the wages as if one payment than subtract the wages withheld on the regular payroll check and withold the difference.

I usually find that the 25% is the lowest way to go on the taxes. My system only allows me to do weekly, biweekly, semimonthly or monthly. For the large checks paid out which are for a settelment such as you have I change it to monthly to see if it makes a difference. most of the time it is still more than the 25% supplemental rate.

The state has a supplemental rate to go along with the federal. You have to check with your state for the supplemental rate.

Shirley

Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR