Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues/W-2s sent to SSA twice


Hello Ms. McAllister,

My question pertains to W-2s being sent to the Social Security Administration.

Due to a miscommunication, we sent copies of our employees' W-2s to the SSA after our payroll service (which we no longer use) had already done so. What would need to be done to rectify this situation so that the government does not think our employees all made twice as much money as they actually did?

If you need to talk directly to SSA staff about a wage report processing problem, you may contact SSA’s employer services at 1-800-772-6270

You may also speak with an Employer Service Liaison Officer (ESLO) (wage reporting specialists in the SSA regional office in your area.)  Call your local SSA office and explain what has happened.


Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR


I can answer payroll questions, payroll tax questions, 401K questions. No stock option questions please and I have some knowledge of other pensions but am most familiar with the 401K pension. I can answer U.S.and Canada payroll questions proficiently and have a good general knowledge of UK and South Africa and some knowledge of Australia and New Zealand Payroll procedures. Please do not ask me homework questions I do not have time to answer them.


25 years with an international company in the Human Resources, Payroll and Payroll Tax areas.


I.O.M.A. and BNA

P.H.R., C.P.P., Canadian Payroll Administrator, Successfully passed APA class on UK Payroll Administration. Boise State University Human Resource Certification

Awards and Honors
APA Hotline Citation of Merit for last 8 years.

©2017 All rights reserved.