Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues/Bi-monthly payroll

Question
On bimonthly payroll, what days should I include when paying from the 1st to the 15th, and from the 16th through the 30th or 31st?

If the first have includes all days I will end up paying 88 regular hours? If the month has 31 days then should I pay 96 regular hours?

Thank you!

Mario

Answer
The term "bimonthly" usually means the pay is every other month - the pay period would be two months.

You are probably talking about "semimonthly" payroll; the pay period is 1/2 month, the 1st - 15th and 16th through the end of the month. These types of payroll are normally salary as opposed to hourly.

Your question suggests an hourly payroll paid twice a month. Thus you should be basing pay on the actual hours worked during the period 1st of the month through the 15th and the 16th through the end of the month. The actual hours worked will also vary depending on the work days.

I hope this answers your question.

Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues

Arthur Naman