Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues/Reissuing Pay Stubs

Question
I need to submit my last 26 weeks of pay stubs to the UIA from a job that I was laid off of in MI.  I was never issued hard-copy pay stubs, but rather scans of my pay stubs.  The emailed pay stubs that were sent are not available anymore (gone from my email).  Can he refuse to send me another set of the emailed or the original hard-copies?

Answer
In Michigan they must give you the pay stub when you are paid or a statement with the information on it. They can give a paper form or an electronic form on the computer as long as you have access to it at that time.

They are also required to keep this information for 3 years. I could find no reference as to whether they must give this to a terminated employee.

You may have to see if the Department of Labor can help you obtain the copies of the pay stubs.

Here are the rules:

Statement of Wages (Pay Stub)

An employer must furnish each employee at the time of payment of wages a statement of:

the hours worked by the employee, unless employed in a bona fide executive, administrative, or professional capacity,
the gross wages paid,
identification of the pay period for which payment is being made, and
a separate itemization of deductions.
Michigan Law 408:479

Record Keeping Requirements

An employer must maintain, for at least three (3) years, a record for each employee which indicates:

the employee’s name, address, birth date, occupation or classification in which employed,
total basic rate of pay,
total hours worked in each pay period, unless the employee is employed in a bona fide executive, administrative, or professional capacity,
total wages paid each pay period, and
a separate itemization of deductions and a listing or itemization of fringe benefits (if an employer has a group of ten (10) or more employees who have identical fringe benefits, one (1) central itemization or listing may be kept for each group, providing the record identifies to which group each employee belongs).
Michigan Law 408:479

Shirley

Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR