Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues/Fed W/H amount differs

I was wondering how Fed W/H works, I am a little confused.
On my pay check which come every two weeks, there is a section under taxes which is labeled fed W/H. On one pay check I received 136.13, the Fed W/H was 4.10. Which is about 3.01%. The next pay check was for 350.9 and the Fed W/H was 24.52. Which is about 6.99%, in another they took out about 6.65%. Is there a set amount or does it vary depending on the amount you get paid?
Additional fact that might be important, I live in Washington State and am under PERS 2.

your federal withholding will depend on the amount you earn and the way in which you filled out your W-4 form when you started working.

The more you earn the more Federal withholding you will pay.  Also the more dependents you have on your W-4 form the less withholding you pay.

Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer payroll questions, payroll tax questions, 401K questions. No stock option questions please and I have some knowledge of other pensions but am most familiar with the 401K pension. I can answer U.S.and Canada payroll questions proficiently and have a good general knowledge of UK and South Africa and some knowledge of Australia and New Zealand Payroll procedures. Please do not ask me homework questions I do not have time to answer them.

25 years with an international company in the Human Resources, Payroll and Payroll Tax areas.

I.O.M.A. and BNA

P.H.R., C.P.P., Canadian Payroll Administrator, Successfully passed APA class on UK Payroll Administration. Boise State University Human Resource Certification

APA Hotline Citation of Merit for last 8 years.