Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues/Payroll Taxes

Question
We have an employee that lives in Indiana but works in Ohio.  We currently do not have an account in Indiana.  As the employer are we required to withhold Indiana based on the reciprocal agreement between the states.  The employee currently does not have Ohio withheld either because she requested not too.  I don't think that's correct either. Any help would be grateful.

Barb

Answer
You are not required to set up an account in Indiana and withhold taxes although you may if you wish. It will give you nexus in that state and you may have to pay corporate taxes.

If the employee fills out IT NR4 for Ohio you do not have to withhold taxes for Ohio. You need to send in this form to Ohio.

If you do hold taxes out for Ohio the employer will get credit for them in Indiana.

If you do not withhold from either state it is the responsibility of the employee to pay the taxes.

Shirley

Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR