Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues/Employee Perks

Question
We receive an employee card that has money loaded on it every month for us to eat at the restaurant if we choose to.  If you don't use the money on your card that month you lose it.  It does not get rolled over.  This should be taxable to the employee right?  That is what I believe that I am reading according to the IRS.  Am I on the right track?

Thanks.

Answer
It is taxable to the employee unless it is for the convenience of the employer so the employees are close to work and can take less time on lunch and be back on time.

Shirley

I might add this is not taxable if the employee is traveling for work from one site to another it is allowed as a meal per diem.

Shirley

Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR