Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues/3rd party paryroll

Question
My employer has contracted with another company to do their payroll. This was implemented without notification to the employees until after the fact. When employees were eventually notified, they were not informed of which 3rd part company would be handling the payroll. Thus, my SS# was given to a 3rd party company without my knowledge or consent. Are there any laws or code of ethics governing employers in Wisconsin regulating when and how an employer may share an employees SS# or other personal information? Thank-you.

Answer
Many companies outsource payroll duties to outsourcing companies such as ADP, Paylocity, Ceridian and others to do their payroll. This is a company decision and does not have to be shared with employees. It is permissible to give the SS# to this company as they need it to process payroll and payroll tax forms and to pay the taxes.

Shirley

Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR