Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues/Accounting Question


The owner of our small business has sold his home and is now commuting from another state and staying in a hotel 4 nights/wk.  He is charging that amount to the company Amex.  The CPA has told me to code it to "rent".  Is that legitimate ?

From an accounting viewpoint,  that type of expense would, I think, be considered "rent."

I think what you are really asking is whether or not that type of an expense is a valid deduction on the annual tax return.

If the tax preparer says it is, then that should answer your question. I am not sure of the correct answer as to whether that is a correct deductible business expense, it may well be. But, the tax preparer's decision is the one you should take.  

Accounting, Payroll & Pension Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Arthur Naman


General accounting and bookkeeping questions. Specific questions pertaining to: monthly bookkeeping, preparing financial reports; reconciling accounts.

I cannot answer questions pertaining to pension or retirement planning.

This is not a forum to have homework answered. Please do your own homework.


30 years' experience doing tax and accounting work

MPA from Univ. of Texas at Austin, MBA Golden Gate Univ, San Francisco CA

©2017 All rights reserved.