Accuweather/Cruising to Hawaii

Dear Mr. Dombeck,

We will be cruising to/from Hawaii from 2/13 to 2/27.  We depart from LA on the 13th and arrive HI on the 18th.  We leave HI on the 22nd arrive in LA 27th.

Please give me an idea as to what the open sea part of the cruise may be like.  What will weather temps during the day and at night?  What may the sea be like, i.e. will is be calm or choppy?

I can see you have posted in the past and know the question I am asking better than I do.  This is our first pacific cruise so I am pretty green (no pun intended) about sailing conditions.

Thanks, in advance, for you insights and information.  

The situation out over the sea as far as the waves are concerned is really dependent on whether or not there are any storms in the vicinity. Even in a relatively calm and tranquil pattern, there is some amount of wave action over the open ocean. However, in a big cruise ship, you can't feel it whatsoever. On the other hand, if a big storm did happen to spin up somewhere near your course of travel, then it could get quite choppy, and even in a big ship, you would feel at least some of the roughness. Given the fact that it is only February 6th, there is no way of telling what the weather pattern will be like in that region this far away.

As for the temperatures, here are the normals on the both extremes...

In LA, the normal high during this period is 64 and the normal low is 50. In Hawaii, the normal high temperatures are close to 80, with normal lows in the mid 60s. So, out over the ocean, the temperatures will generally be between these two extremes, barring any unusually warm or chilly weather pattern. Obviously, the closer you are to HI, the warmer it will be. The closer to CA you are, the cooler it will be. Do expect a decent breeze or wind to be blowing most of the time when you are over open water.

I hope this helps!

Dave Dombek  

Dave Dombek

A weather enthusiast from an early age, Dave Dombek is now an AccuWeather meteorology expert.

Dave received his B.S. degree in meteorology from the Pennsylvania State University in May of 1980. Dave joined AccuWeather in July of 1980, beginning in the Snow Warning Service late that fall after his few month period of training. Within a short period of time, Dave got involved in radio broadcasting. He spent over 25 years broadcasting forecasts on radio stations throughout the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast states, and has also done newspaper forecasts and television briefings. Currently, Dave is the lead television briefer for all of AccuWeather's television clients in the northeatern quarter of the nation. In his daily forecasting routine, Dave helps coordinate the forecasts in the northeastern part of the country. He is also the Director of Forecaster Hiring and is in charge of hiring new meteorologists. Finally, Dave is the supervisor of the climatology department at AccuWeather. An avid outdoorsman, Dave enjoys hunting and trout fishing. He also enjoys watching football and is a student of history and current events. If Dave doesn't already have enough on his plate, he is married with two teenage daughters. He also leads a small Messianic congregation in the State College, Pa. area.