Accuweather/Which should feel hotter?

I play a lot of golf.  In the summer, I usually prefer to play latter in the day--even starting at noon--so that the dew has burned off.  Some friends say I'm crazy, but it feels to me much more like a sauna when the sun is burning the dew off while playing vs when I'm dealing with just temperature.  Is this just my preference or does it really feel hotter in the summer while the dew is burning off?

It's not your imagination! Dew points, or the actual measure of the water vapor content in the air, is actually highest during the mid-morning hours when the dew is evaporating. By later in the day, and in particular, the mid to late afternoon, drier air from aloft often gets mixed down, thus lowering the dew points. So, even though actual temperatures are peaking during that mid to late afternoon time frame, the actual humidity levels are often lower than they are in the morning.

I hope this helps!

Dave Dombek

A weather enthusiast from an early age, Dave Dombek is now an AccuWeather meteorology expert.

Dave received his B.S. degree in meteorology from the Pennsylvania State University in May of 1980. Dave joined AccuWeather in July of 1980, beginning in the Snow Warning Service late that fall after his few month period of training. Within a short period of time, Dave got involved in radio broadcasting. He spent over 25 years broadcasting forecasts on radio stations throughout the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast states, and has also done newspaper forecasts and television briefings. Currently, Dave is the lead television briefer for all of AccuWeather's television clients in the northeatern quarter of the nation. In his daily forecasting routine, Dave helps coordinate the forecasts in the northeastern part of the country. He is also the Director of Forecaster Hiring and is in charge of hiring new meteorologists. Finally, Dave is the supervisor of the climatology department at AccuWeather. An avid outdoorsman, Dave enjoys hunting and trout fishing. He also enjoys watching football and is a student of history and current events. If Dave doesn't already have enough on his plate, he is married with two teenage daughters. He also leads a small Messianic congregation in the State College, Pa. area.