Acoustic Guitars/K. Yairi Y80 followup

Meghan wrote at 2008-05-27 03:05:17
Hi< I bought my K Yairi new in the late 70's. I later bought an S Yairi.  You are quite correct. These instruments have to be at least 30 years old. I still have them both. Be interested to know their value. Mine are both in "near new" condition.

Be interested on any information that can be discovered regarding these instruments.

yairi_luvr wrote at 2008-07-23 10:30:39
The K. Yairi Y series (including Y80) were the precursors to the Alvarez Yairi CY classical models.

The "Y series" classical guitar line was sold from the late 1960s to 1974.  Actually two different guitar lines were sold as Y series guitars:

o    "Round Black Label"      - late 1960s to early 1970s

o   " Rectangular Tan Label"  - 1971 to 1974.

Your particular guitar has the early "Round Black Label" (although you describe it with white lettering, and all that I've seen have GOLD lettering) which means that it was made prior to 1972.  Without the numbers stamped on the heelblock, I cannot tell you exactly what year yours was made.  These guitars do NOT use the serial numbers for dating purposes.

BTW, the Round Yairi label is a take off of a round Ramirez Estudio Guitar Label. Yairi also used the Ramirez 1A rosette on many of his

guitars including the CY130, CY135, YC150, YC100,  Y150, and Y100.

"Black Label" Y series guitars are different from the "Beige Label" Y Series. While the "Beige Label" guitars  are similar in construction to current YC / CY classicals  introduced in 1975, the "Black Label" classical guitars are distant cousins of the current YC/CY line and represent Kazuo Yairi's early efforts in classical guitar making.

The "Black Label" guitars have Brazilian rosewood fingerboards instead of ebony, more spruce tops, bigger necks, longer scales, cedar

lining, large rosettes, and diamond marquetry headplates.

The most important difference between the early Y and later Y / YC series was that different bracing and construction methods were used.

Some of the early Y guitars have very odd neck/heel extensions and neck bracing. Many did not have the traditional carved Spanish slipper

heel that is seen in the current crop of CY classicals, but have uncarved neck blocks with extra neck extensions and bracing on the top

as opposed to the bottom of the guitar.

There were a large number of models in the Y series including the 15, 30, 40, 50, 70, 80, 100, 150, and 800.  So your guitar is an upper  mid level model.  ALL OF THE MODELS HAD LAMINATED SIDES.  A few of the higher Indian rosewood models had solid backs with laminated sides.  

RED wrote at 2009-12-02 05:51:13
I have a Yairi Y80, which I have had for many years.  Mine  has SOLID sides and back, not laminated.

gaoo wrote at 2016-05-20 15:01:33
What can you say about Y series made by K.Yairi in 80-90-s? For example model Y305P and Y303P?

Acoustic Guitars

Wes Coleman

I can answer any question regarding the repair, maintenance, and some alternate and exotic tunings. I can answer some questions regarding the history of your guitar, but not how much it will sell for. I can also answer questions regarding playing in various styles, and various influences. My influence include, Slash, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Malcolm Young, and Randy Rhoads.

5 year worth of customizing, repairing, and maintaining, and 10 years playing.

Training under my uncle. He is an accomplished guitar tech.