Acoustic Guitars/Alvarez 12 string

Question
I have a Yairi DY76, serial #21246. I'm trying to get an approximate value and any information on this guitar as I am putting it up for sale. It has two superficial scratches on front of body and several light dings. Otherwise, it is in pretty good shape and plays great! Thanks!

Answer
Hi. Your DY76 12 string was probably made in the mid 1970s but as the serial number is incomplete (they are 6 digits long) I am estimating.  The DY-76 Alavarez Yairi, called the Herringbone 12, has a solid Canadian Spruce top, aged for at least 2 years. Select Rosewood back and sides (laminates). Herringbone inlay around the top and sound hole. Ebony fingerboard. Adjustable neck rod. Original MSRP in 1975, $465.

Acoustic Bluebook info:
DY 76 HERRINGBONE TWELVE
- dreadnought style, solid Canadian spruce top, round soundhole, ivoroid bound body, 3-stripe wood rosette, rosewood back/sides/neck, 14/20-fret ebony fingerboard with snowflake inlay, ebony bridge, rosewood headstock veneer, abalone logo inlay on headstock, tortoiseshell pickguard, 6-per-side chrome tuners, abalone inlays on bridge pins, available in Natural finish, mfg. circa mid-1970s.

These 12 string DY-76 guitars usually sell for between $500.00 to $650.00 depending on condition, right now (10-22-14) in the current market. There are three things that will determine the overall value of your guitar. 1. Condtion. 2. Condtion. 3. Condtion. If you go to e bay and look under completed listings for a Alvarez Yairi DY-76, you will see the spread of amounts actually paid for a like item. I always caution folks not to look at what people are asking for an item on e bay in order to gain a sense of value. I can list a walnut for sale and ask $10,000.00 for it. This does not mean that I will sell the walnut for this outrageous price nor does it give a valid indication of it's true value. Again, search for what items actually sold for, not for what they are listed for. This is a true indicator of current market interest and value of any particular item. Also, things sell for more in a retail setting. Music instrument shop owners have to pay their bills and this is how they do it. No mystery here. But back to case in point. 12 string guitars never make up more than 3% of the total guitar market. High end Martin & Gibson 12 string guitars of recent vintage hardly ever sell for a much more than $1000.00 and we are talking about some of the best guitar built in the world. In the main, there is never much demand for them in the secondary market because that market is throughly saturated. Takamine used to manufacture these guitars to look like Martin guitars with the same shape headstock and cursive headstock logo. Martin complained and Takamine stopped doing it on the F series guitars. They call these instruemt 'Lawsuit' guitars or "Lawsuit Era" guitars. There is a certain element in the collecting market that value these guitars and so there is that. Hope this helps. Kevin Dunham

Acoustic Guitars

Kevin Dunham