Acoustic Guitars/1972 Alvarez Yairi Model 5036

We have a 1972 Alvarez Yairi Model 5036, Serial 4846 or 4946 in Good to Very Good Condition.  This is the one with the ornate carved headstock.  Our customer is looking for a fair market value on this guitar as he does not play the guitar at all.

It has a solid cedar top, laminated rosewood back and sides, book matched on the back and appears to be all original.  It also has what we believe to be the original hardshell case.

Do you have an idea of what the value on this guitar might be?

Steve P.

Hi. The 5036 Yairi Virtuoso was second from the high end classical in the early 1970's.  You already know the top is solid Spanish cedar, back and sides Indian Rosewood (2pc split bookmatched laminate). The Moorish carved headstock changed over the years in design. It had an ebony fingerboard, bridge Rosewood. The Mahogany neck is joined with the traditional Spanish block and heel.

In 1972-73 the MSRP was $375-$395.00~ the highest price for an AY classcial in 1970 was $249.

IF it is mint, the value would be between $650 and $800~ of course, you never know what one will sell for until you put it up. Ad $75.00 for the OHC (original hardshell case). We get questions about the 5036 several times a year and while we usually always start out with the same general description, we update the values accordingly. See link for grading guidelines. I hope ths helps. Kevin Dunham

Acoustic Guitars

Kevin Dunham

Sigma by Martin guitars, Vintage Asian Import Guitars, acoustic guitars, american guitars, vintage music gear and vinyl record albums

I am a scholar and researcher of vintage Asain Import guitars and my area of expertise is Sigma by Martin fretted instruments imported by C.F. Martin & Co. from 1970-2007. I have been compiling materials and studying Sigma since 2008.

I have my own website,, a blog, Sigma Martin Memo's, I am a consultant on the Vintage Sigma Guitars Facebook page and am an editor of the Sigma Guitars Wikipedia page. I am also writing a book on the sigma line and have just returned from MArtin in NAzareth where I was granted access to and permisiion to reproduce Sigma by MArtin materials by Dick Boak, Archivist at Martin. Martin customer service representatives now refer Sigma by Martin inquiries that they cannot answer to me.

My book propsal is currently under review by Hal Leonard Performing Arts Publshing group and an article I wrote for Vintage Guitar Mazine is under advisement.

Studied at Linn Benton Community Collage in Albany Oregon and Marylhurst University in Portannd, Oregon. I have been a lifelong musician and student of guitars and am a guitar tech.