Acoustic Guitars/Learning gui9tar

I think I may have submitted a question recently.  I am trying to learn guitar in my own and have finally reached all six strings and some chords using the Hal Leonard series of guitar books (book 1)
and have come across some issues in trying to learn and play (without any dead strings) the basic C chord and G7 chord.  I went back string by string and it appears that the C chord is hardest and the only string that is not dead is the top string and in G7 the bottom string.  It is a starter guitar, a Fender CD140S NAT and not sure if a higher-end guitar would make any difference or if the action is of the strings is too far from the fret, therefore making it more difficult for me and my short, stubby fingers.  I could send an mp3 of me trying to make the chords sound normal.  Not sure if I just need more practice or if a non-starter guitar would help solve some of the problem.  If a better guitar would make sense, what brand/price range would you suggest?
I will be trying to find a decent guitar teacher but without something like Angie's List to guide me, how do I find somebody reputable and not someone who is just out to try to sell me another guitar?

Hi. Yes, I do remember your question from a while back and I shared with you some tips about your wrist. While I cannot use this forum for an online teacjhing seminar, I would urge you to find a decent teasher and begin lessons. We have several reputable guitar teachers in our area. I would begin with a local music instrument shop and ask there. I charge $25.00 a lesson and ask for $100.00 for 4 lessons up front and schedule the lessons for 1 hour weekly. Most lessons are for 1/2 hour or 45 monutes....I always tell my students that lessons give you a big jump on the learning curve but you have to proctice. A good teacher or guitar tech will tell you if the string height of your guitar is too high but those chords can be tough for newcomers withot one on one instruction regardless of the action. Seems to me that you are not using your wrist correctly and not arching your palm to get those lazy fingers off the fingerboard except for at the strings you want to depress. Try to get a one on one situation and not a class...Hope this helps. Cheers, Kevin

Acoustic Guitars

Kevin Dunham

Sigma by Martin guitars, Vintage Asian Import Guitars, acoustic guitars, american guitars, vintage music gear and vinyl record albums

I am a scholar and researcher of vintage Asain Import guitars and my area of expertise is Sigma by Martin fretted instruments imported by C.F. Martin & Co. from 1970-2007. I have been compiling materials and studying Sigma since 2008.

I have my own website,, a blog, Sigma Martin Memo's, I am a consultant on the Vintage Sigma Guitars Facebook page and am an editor of the Sigma Guitars Wikipedia page. I am also writing a book on the sigma line and have just returned from MArtin in NAzareth where I was granted access to and permisiion to reproduce Sigma by MArtin materials by Dick Boak, Archivist at Martin. Martin customer service representatives now refer Sigma by Martin inquiries that they cannot answer to me.

My book propsal is currently under review by Hal Leonard Performing Arts Publshing group and an article I wrote for Vintage Guitar Mazine is under advisement.

Studied at Linn Benton Community Collage in Albany Oregon and Marylhurst University in Portannd, Oregon. I have been a lifelong musician and student of guitars and am a guitar tech.