Acoustic Guitars/Alvaraz 5060

Question
Alvarze .jpg
Alvarze .jpg  
My husband had this for years. When he was dying he hid things. I found his other guitars a Ibenez and a cortez. Today i found the Alvaraz 5060. It has all the orginal label inside. Serial # is 1159 it also has J S in black ink on the right side of  the label. The date is 13-9-73.  When you look inside it has Alvarez stamped in the area of the neck has the label for the string sizes. He bought it for 50 dollars back in the 70's. The guy that owed it was drunk and going to smash it. Can you tell me any thing about it, i can take more pictures. Thanks

Answer
Alvarez Yairi Model 5060
Alvarez Yairi Model 50  

Alvarez Yairi Model 5060
Alvarez Yairi Model 50  
Hi. I am sorry to hear of your husband's passing but let me tell you that he left you a wonderful gift. Your vintage Japanese made Alavarez 5060 was handcrafted by Master Luthier Kazou Yairi and these guitars are very sought after and desireable indeed! Alvarez is owned and distributed by St. Louis Music Co. and still makes and import Yairi guitars today. The Alvarez 5060 'Western' model was only available from 1973 until 1976 and is a very well executed copy of a Martin D-41 dreadnought guitar. It has a solid spruce top and matched Brazilian rosewood back and sides. It is a great, well built guitar with high end appoinments such as abalone inlay around both the soundhole and entire edge of the soundboard (top) as well as hexagonalabalone inlays on the fingerboard. The top, botton, neck and headstock is bound in white abs binding and came stock with gold hardware including Grover tuners. Your guitar has the build date of August 9th, 1973 which makes it a 1st year model build. These came onto the market in April of 1973 and retailed for $439.00. In 1976 these were renamed Alvarex.Yairi Dy-85 and are still in production today.They retail for $1795.00 USD. And remember, these are not Brazilian rosewood-but Eastern Indian.  Early Yairi guitars are prized by guitarists in the know and collectors alike and while I cannnot make an appraisal of it's value, in excellent condition this guitar could easily fetch upwards of $700.00 to $800.00 in the market. A 5060 sold for $895.00 on March 23, 2014. I am including links for original Alvarex catalog images and descriptions of this guitar model as well as a yputube video of a tour of the Yairi plant and the above mentioned recently cempleted e bay auction. Hope tis helps. You have a wonderful guitar! Cheers, Kevin Dunham

http://alvarez yairi.web.fc2.com/cat1973/p11.html) (http://alvarezyairi.web.fc2.com/cat1973/p10.html )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxz6BiG_JE
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1972-Alvarez-5060-DY-85-Guitar-by-Yairi-/3011301

Acoustic Guitars

Kevin Dunham