Acoustic Guitars/Strum once and let ring out

Hi Kevin,

I play acoustic guitar at church and one of the things I do, as part of the dramatics of the song is strum a chord and let it ring out without any other strumming...while singing over the top. I heard somewhere that when you strum down the strings and just let them ring's called "diamonds" or some term like that. I was wondering if you knew the exact term and word for it...thanks

Diamond strumming pattern
Diamond strumming patt  
Hi Rob. Thanks for the question. While my main expertise is acoustic guitars, more specifically Asian import guitars, I am also a life long guitarist and as such I think I can help. When a guitarist just plays one down stroke of a chosen chord, while counting a full bar, for example,  1,2,3,4 either while singing or not is called the `Diamond` method or pattern as on sheet music- one strum per bar is often notated as a diamond. I hope this answers your question.

Acoustic Guitars

Kevin Dunham

Sigma by Martin guitars, Vintage Asian Import Guitars, acoustic guitars, american guitars, vintage music gear and vinyl record albums

I am a scholar and researcher of vintage Asain Import guitars and my area of expertise is Sigma by Martin fretted instruments imported by C.F. Martin & Co. from 1970-2007. I have been compiling materials and studying Sigma since 2008.

I have my own website,, a blog, Sigma Martin Memo's, I am a consultant on the Vintage Sigma Guitars Facebook page and am an editor of the Sigma Guitars Wikipedia page. I am also writing a book on the sigma line and have just returned from MArtin in NAzareth where I was granted access to and permisiion to reproduce Sigma by MArtin materials by Dick Boak, Archivist at Martin. Martin customer service representatives now refer Sigma by Martin inquiries that they cannot answer to me.

My book propsal is currently under review by Hal Leonard Performing Arts Publshing group and an article I wrote for Vintage Guitar Mazine is under advisement.

Studied at Linn Benton Community Collage in Albany Oregon and Marylhurst University in Portannd, Oregon. I have been a lifelong musician and student of guitars and am a guitar tech.