Acoustic Guitars/K.Yairi DY 54

DY 54 Guitar
DY 54 Guitar  

DY 54 serial number
DY 54 serial number  
I have one K.Yairi DY 54 serial number:21299 from 1982, with elect.(wood?)pickguards.I bought it eight years ago in an auction. can you tell me something about this (very nice) guitar?
Thanks for trying ;)
Stefan (from germany)

Hi. thanks for the question. Your Alvarex K. Yairi DY-54 guitar is made in Japan. therre were two models, Silver Fawn and Wind River.  The top is made of solid Canadian spruce and the back and sides are made of Ovenkol, a tropical African tone wood. Japanese lutiers began using this tone wood decades before others and today it ranks as one of the highest tonewoods on the planet. The neck is manufactured from nato mahogany and the binding is crafted from maple. Snowflake inlays on the fretboard and a turquoise wood marquetry sound hole rosette make this a beautiful instrument. I have attached a link to the Alvarez 1981 catalog page for this guitar. I am adding links for you to find out more aobut you guiar and what one would expect in terms of value. Included is another all experts link that talks about this guitar. Please don;t forget to rate mt answer!!! I hope this helps you. Cheers, Kevin Dunham  

Acoustic Guitars

Kevin Dunham

Sigma by Martin guitars, Vintage Asian Import Guitars, acoustic guitars, american guitars, vintage music gear and vinyl record albums

I am a scholar and researcher of vintage Asain Import guitars and my area of expertise is Sigma by Martin fretted instruments imported by C.F. Martin & Co. from 1970-2007. I have been compiling materials and studying Sigma since 2008.

I have my own website,, a blog, Sigma Martin Memo's, I am a consultant on the Vintage Sigma Guitars Facebook page and am an editor of the Sigma Guitars Wikipedia page. I am also writing a book on the sigma line and have just returned from MArtin in NAzareth where I was granted access to and permisiion to reproduce Sigma by MArtin materials by Dick Boak, Archivist at Martin. Martin customer service representatives now refer Sigma by Martin inquiries that they cannot answer to me.

My book propsal is currently under review by Hal Leonard Performing Arts Publshing group and an article I wrote for Vintage Guitar Mazine is under advisement.

Studied at Linn Benton Community Collage in Albany Oregon and Marylhurst University in Portannd, Oregon. I have been a lifelong musician and student of guitars and am a guitar tech.