Acoustic Guitars/S. Yairi ID help

Yairi Pics
Yairi Pics  
I do hope you can help me a little.  I am trying to find out as much as possible about my guitar (pictures attached).  I purchased it new in England many years ago however I have not retained any information about it.
Could you or one of your associates please help me identify it and provide any other detail?  E.g. model number, types of wood, quality and construction, approx. value etc.  (It looks like a solid back).   How did it compare with others in the range?
The label shows S.Yairi, No. 680, made in 1980 with a number 22634 stamped inside on the heel block (if thatís what itís called).
Your response would be very much appreciated

Many thanks

Hi. Your guitar is made by Sadao Yairi. It is a classical style & has a spruce top and rosewood back and sides. I cannot tell you if it is a wholly solid guitar, partial or entirely laminate, but most likely solid top and laminate back and sides. These guitars are not to be confused with K. Yairi guitars, however these are well known and respected in their own right and sell for pretty good money-around $200.00 to $500.00 currently for the lower end models such as yours. I am adding links for you to begin to research this guitar and S. Yairi in general. Hope it helps

Acoustic Guitars

Kevin Dunham

Sigma by Martin guitars, Vintage Asian Import Guitars, acoustic guitars, american guitars, vintage music gear and vinyl record albums

I am a scholar and researcher of vintage Asain Import guitars and my area of expertise is Sigma by Martin fretted instruments imported by C.F. Martin & Co. from 1970-2007. I have been compiling materials and studying Sigma since 2008.

I have my own website,, a blog, Sigma Martin Memo's, I am a consultant on the Vintage Sigma Guitars Facebook page and am an editor of the Sigma Guitars Wikipedia page. I am also writing a book on the sigma line and have just returned from MArtin in NAzareth where I was granted access to and permisiion to reproduce Sigma by MArtin materials by Dick Boak, Archivist at Martin. Martin customer service representatives now refer Sigma by Martin inquiries that they cannot answer to me.

My book propsal is currently under review by Hal Leonard Performing Arts Publshing group and an article I wrote for Vintage Guitar Mazine is under advisement.

Studied at Linn Benton Community Collage in Albany Oregon and Marylhurst University in Portannd, Oregon. I have been a lifelong musician and student of guitars and am a guitar tech.