Acoustic Guitars/Antique Acoustic Guitar

Photo 7
Photo 7  

Photo 3
Photo 3  
We have a very old acoustic guitar that was my wife's great grandmothers. It does not have a brand marking, only an "S-34" inside an oval line stamped inside the guitar. We would like to know the brand, age, approximate value and any other information you may be able give us. I have attached a picture and can send you several others if you like.
Thanks for your time!

Hi. Your guitar looks to me like a 1930's, 1940's or 1950's Supertone (precursor to Harmony Instrument Co.) or Harmony Guitar. It could also be a Reagal or Kay...all of these Chicago companies made models similar to this guitar. These were inexpensively produced out of Birch, were ladder braced and were manufactured in Chicago, IL, USA for begriming or amateur enthusiasts. It would be interesting to see the interior ink stamp. Harmony employed a date system that used the time of year, i.e. either the first 6 months of the year(F) or the 2nd 6 months (S) followed by a dash and then the last 2 digits of the year followed by a couple of more letters that was an internal code..such as this: S-34-RL...meaning it was made in the first part of 1934...It looks like it is in pretty good shape and could have been made for any number of catalog or suppliers as Harmony made guitars for any number of companies from Sears & Roebuck to Holiday, B&J, and a host of others....if it had a name on the headstock I could probably help you more. The more desirable types of these parlor guitars had herringbone and other exotic edge prfling & binding and fancy soundhole rosettes, fixed pyramid pin bridges, open peg heads and were crafted out of tone woods such as solid spruce soundboards and mahogany or rosewood back and sides and cedar or mahogany necks-and your guitar has none of the characteristics. I will say that this is not a terribly rare or expensive instrument nor it it highly collectible. Examples such as these regularly sell for between $100.00 on the low end and $250.00 on the high end on e bay....I reccomend you research this further and look at e bay's completed listings...Hope this helps and gets you sarted on researching your guitar further...Cheers, Kevin Dunham of

Acoustic Guitars

Kevin Dunham

Sigma by Martin guitars, Vintage Asian Import Guitars, acoustic guitars, american guitars, vintage music gear and vinyl record albums

I am a scholar and researcher of vintage Asain Import guitars and my area of expertise is Sigma by Martin fretted instruments imported by C.F. Martin & Co. from 1970-2007. I have been compiling materials and studying Sigma since 2008.

I have my own website,, a blog, Sigma Martin Memo's, I am a consultant on the Vintage Sigma Guitars Facebook page and am an editor of the Sigma Guitars Wikipedia page. I am also writing a book on the sigma line and have just returned from MArtin in NAzareth where I was granted access to and permisiion to reproduce Sigma by MArtin materials by Dick Boak, Archivist at Martin. Martin customer service representatives now refer Sigma by Martin inquiries that they cannot answer to me.

My book propsal is currently under review by Hal Leonard Performing Arts Publshing group and an article I wrote for Vintage Guitar Mazine is under advisement.

Studied at Linn Benton Community Collage in Albany Oregon and Marylhurst University in Portannd, Oregon. I have been a lifelong musician and student of guitars and am a guitar tech.