Acoustic Guitars/help

Takamine 1
Takamine 1  

Takamine 2
Takamine 2  
Hi, how can I now, if a Takamine 12 string guitar in an original 1962 guitar?
I have a serial number 5-S85 and I want to know if that is enough info for me to know if it's an original guitar.

Hi. The serial number you have mentioned is invalid-It should contain 8 numbers and no letters. It think it probably says F-385 and that is the model. Your Takamine 12 string is a 'F' series 'lawsuit' era guitar based the headstock lettering and overall look. It was probably built between 1973 and 1980. While it says 'Established 1962' it does not mean this guitar was made in 1962, only that the company was formed that year. Just like on a Martin Guitar it will say 'Established 1833'. These particular F series Takamines were blatant copies of Martin guitars, down to the same shape of headstock and the style of font on that headstock and in 1980, Martin asked them to quit copying these elements and Takamine stopped producing this line altogether. These lawsuit guitars are popular and command a premium but I must inform you that 12 string guitars, no matter who makes them, are not nearly as popular or valuable as their six string counterparts. the current value of this guitar, based on recent e bay and sales  is about from $200.00- $350.00 depending on condition.  

Acoustic Guitars

Kevin Dunham

Sigma by Martin guitars, Vintage Asian Import Guitars, acoustic guitars, american guitars, vintage music gear and vinyl record albums

I am a scholar and researcher of vintage Asain Import guitars and my area of expertise is Sigma by Martin fretted instruments imported by C.F. Martin & Co. from 1970-2007. I have been compiling materials and studying Sigma since 2008.

I have my own website,, a blog, Sigma Martin Memo's, I am a consultant on the Vintage Sigma Guitars Facebook page and am an editor of the Sigma Guitars Wikipedia page. I am also writing a book on the sigma line and have just returned from MArtin in NAzareth where I was granted access to and permisiion to reproduce Sigma by MArtin materials by Dick Boak, Archivist at Martin. Martin customer service representatives now refer Sigma by Martin inquiries that they cannot answer to me.

My book propsal is currently under review by Hal Leonard Performing Arts Publshing group and an article I wrote for Vintage Guitar Mazine is under advisement.

Studied at Linn Benton Community Collage in Albany Oregon and Marylhurst University in Portannd, Oregon. I have been a lifelong musician and student of guitars and am a guitar tech.