Acoustic Guitars/help

Question
Takamine 1
Takamine 1  

Takamine 2
Takamine 2  
Hi, how can I now, if a Takamine 12 string guitar in an original 1962 guitar?
I have a serial number 5-S85 and I want to know if that is enough info for me to know if it's an original guitar.

Answer
Hi. The serial number you have mentioned is invalid-It should contain 8 numbers and no letters. It think it probably says F-385 and that is the model. Your Takamine 12 string is a 'F' series 'lawsuit' era guitar based the headstock lettering and overall look. It was probably built between 1973 and 1980. While it says 'Established 1962' it does not mean this guitar was made in 1962, only that the company was formed that year. Just like on a Martin Guitar it will say 'Established 1833'. These particular F series Takamines were blatant copies of Martin guitars, down to the same shape of headstock and the style of font on that headstock and in 1980, Martin asked them to quit copying these elements and Takamine stopped producing this line altogether. These lawsuit guitars are popular and command a premium but I must inform you that 12 string guitars, no matter who makes them, are not nearly as popular or valuable as their six string counterparts. the current value of this guitar, based on recent e bay and reverb.com sales  is about from $200.00- $350.00 depending on condition.  

Acoustic Guitars

Kevin Dunham