Acoustic Guitars/1978 Takamine F340SD

Question
f340sd
f340sd  
What level of quality were these guitars built? I've found one in excellent condition that I am considering purchasing. I don't expect Martin level of quality, but I would hope that it isn't considered a "cheap" knockoff. Thanks.

Answer
Hi. These 1970's F-340SD instruments were pretty good quality Martin copies and have solid spruce tops, laminate back and sides. They are a mid level Japanese copy of a Martin and are not considered a 'cheap knockoff'-So much so that in 1981 Chris Martin, the CEO of Martin guitars, wrote a letter to Takamine and strongly suggested they quit copying their guitars, especially the headstock and semi oval cursive headstcok logo and interior marking system....which Takamine did and as a direct consequence, Takamine ceased production of these 'F" series 'Takamine Lawsuit' guitars (even though there was no actual lawsuit)right after this. They have a collectible value and most folks seem to like the way they play and sound, especially if they are in excellent condition. The value of these guitars in good condition with a hardshell case is somewhere between $300.00-500.00 USD. I took a look at the completed listings on e bay and that is the current market price range (9-28-14). I think of you can get this guitar at the bottom end of what I estimate the value of this model in this condition to be, you are well within what I would term a 'good buy'....I would ask that you examine it very carefully and check to see that all is in order, especially the neck angle and the bracing....it is always good to get something in writing that says you can return it for a full cash refund within two weeks...Good luck!  

Acoustic Guitars

Kevin Dunham