Acoustic Guitars/HOKADA 12 Strings - Japan

Hokada 12 strings
Hokada 12 strings  

Hokada 12 strings
Hokada 12 strings  
Here are the pictures. Anybody knows about its quality, and the year it was made? Thanks a lot.

Hi. While I cannot tell you the manufacturer, it looks to be an late 1960's or early 1970's made in Japan copy of a Martin D-28 12 string guitar. The reason I know it is a late 1960's or early 70's build is because of the 'Zero' fret next to the string nut and because of the adjustable invert saddle type bridge. It looks to be of laminate construction, probalby laminate spruce top and laminate mahogany back and sides with a 3 piece scarf jointed neck. Hokada was a name owned by a company in the UK but like everyone else, they started importing Japanese guitars to open up the market. Probably made by Tokai, Iida, Kasuga, Aria or Matsumoku. Quality and workmanship is fair-nothing special. If the top is solid it is worth more but 12 string guitars never comprise more that 3% of the market and even Gibson and Martin 12 string guitars routinely sell for under $1000.00 and they are among the best in the world. If it is in good condition, no big dings,, scratches, structural problems and the neck is straight and the belly is not bulged or dipped or the neck and/or bridge is not pulled up or the neck heel is not puled away from the body or the neck is not twisted or warped (which is common because people tuned these to concert pitch-which you are not supposed to do and then left then strung tight for extended periods of time). All of that being said if it has a good condition hardshell case it should sell for around $200.00-$300.00 USD.  

Acoustic Guitars

Kevin Dunham

Sigma by Martin guitars, Vintage Asian Import Guitars, acoustic guitars, american guitars, vintage music gear and vinyl record albums

I am a scholar and researcher of vintage Asain Import guitars and my area of expertise is Sigma by Martin fretted instruments imported by C.F. Martin & Co. from 1970-2007. I have been compiling materials and studying Sigma since 2008.

I have my own website,, a blog, Sigma Martin Memo's, I am a consultant on the Vintage Sigma Guitars Facebook page and am an editor of the Sigma Guitars Wikipedia page. I am also writing a book on the sigma line and have just returned from MArtin in NAzareth where I was granted access to and permisiion to reproduce Sigma by MArtin materials by Dick Boak, Archivist at Martin. Martin customer service representatives now refer Sigma by Martin inquiries that they cannot answer to me.

My book propsal is currently under review by Hal Leonard Performing Arts Publshing group and an article I wrote for Vintage Guitar Mazine is under advisement.

Studied at Linn Benton Community Collage in Albany Oregon and Marylhurst University in Portannd, Oregon. I have been a lifelong musician and student of guitars and am a guitar tech.